New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Aquamania info

Started by charlie, January 13, 2013, 06:03:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

One of our feature speakers is Dr. Stephan Tanner who will be doing 2 presentations, do not miss this opportunity.
Stephan M. Tanner, PhD
Biography

Stephan has been a fish keeper since 1982. Born in Switzerland, he got his first fish tank at age 14. A fascination for biology led to a master's degree in Ecology and Molecular Biology (1995) and a PhD in Human Molecular Genetics (1998) from the University of Bern, Switzerland. During his undergraduate years, he worked many years for a local fish store (Spiezer Zoo).
In 1998, Stephan moved to Columbus, Ohio for a postdoctoral fellowship in cancer research at the Ohio State University. In the fall of 2005, he became a Research Assistant Professor in the Department of Molecular Virology, Immunology, and Medical Genetics. His work in cancer genetics focused on identifying genes and pathways for acute myeloid leukemia (PNAS 2001, Vol 98), juvenile vitamin B12 malabsorption (Nature Genetics, 2003 Vol 33 & PNAS 2005, Vol 102), chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CELL 2007, Vol 129), and colorectal cancer (Science 2008, Vol 321). Since 1998, Stephan has published 49 peer reviewed papers.

In 1992, Stephan became a member of the International Society for Barbs, Tetras, Loaches, and Catfishes IG BSSW. From 1994-2006, he was the editor for their quarterly publication BSSW Report. He regularly travels to Germany for fish related events and to visit friends he made throughout the IG BSSW. He is also a member of the ACA, ALA, NANFA, and the Columbus Area Fish Enthusiasts.

In 2012, Stephan's wife Wendy was recruited by Mayo Clinic and they moved to Rochester, MN. Stephan has since focused on expanding his company, SwissTropicals, LLC, known for Poret© filter foam and the Jetlifters™.

1) Pleco nutrition
Suckermouth catfish were long regarded simply as algae eaters to clean up the aquarium. Nothing could be further from the truth, since the members of the family Loricariidae have a wide variety of feeding strategies. The choice of food in the husbandry of the various types is critical in maintaining and breeding these great fish.

2) Egg layers
Barbs and Tetras are commonly sold cheaply in pet stores and thus very few hobbyists try their luck on breeding them. However, only a few dozen species make up the market but there are hundreds of species that are sporadically imported. Without breeding them, they often disappear after a short while. Here are a few simple ideas to try your luck with fish that actually pose a challenge to reproduce.

fever

That's too bad, the room sales makes the OCA weekend a "must attend" event, have you been down to it, I know quite a few make the trip each year.
looking forward to your event

Fishnut

Hi Everyone

We have just under 2 months before this major event.  We still need some rock solid volunteers to make this great.  Day one will mostly be speakers, but we still need a few volunteers to help direct people, help those who are selling at booths, etc plus make sure attendees have the correct information about when speakers will be presenting.  We also need some people to help with a few set-up things, I'm sure.

Day 2 is Auction Day when we need most of our volunteers. 

Auctioneers
Runners
People to move the items from the tables to the auctioneers
People to take a few shifts in the cafe to sell food
Cashiers
People to help Peter distribute the labels for those bringing items for the auction
People to help make sure the items are on the correct tables as people are distributing them
People to hand out the auction cards at the door and direct people to the appropriate exec if there are questions
People to sell raffle tickets (although I think that's covered)

Don't worry...volunteers still get to bid on items!!  As a volunteer you get a free lunch from the Cafe and you don't have to sit there waiting for your item to come up!!

If you want to volunteer, please indicate your intention on this thread:
http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=55442.0

Thanks Everyone!  This is going to be one heck of an event for us!

Fishnut

Quote from: fever on February 05, 2013, 11:27:32 PM
That's too bad, the room sales makes the OCA weekend a "must attend" event, have you been down to it, I know quite a few make the trip each year.
looking forward to your event

This is the first event of it's kind for OVAS.  I'm sure it will be evolving into something like the OCA Extravaganza if all goes well in it's infancy :)

I hope to see you and a few others from KWAS!!

fever

Quote from: Fishnut on February 07, 2013, 09:41:13 PM
This is the first event of it's kind for OVAS.  I'm sure it will be evolving into something like the OCA Extravaganza if all goes well in it's infancy :)

I hope to see you and a few others from KWAS!!
Looking forward to it!

charlie

Another great presentation for you guys,Aquascaping fans will love this presentation by Jason Baliban.
Jason Baliban has been an avid aquarist since 1980, starting with a 10 gallon aquarium and blue gravel. Since that time, he has worked with salt water aquariums, fresh water aquariums, and planted tanks. Over the last 8 years, Jason has focused primarily on planted tanks, approaching each planted aquarium as a piece of art. He strives to create compositions that inspire himself and others, while providing healthy environments for his plants and critters. Jason's talent has been proven worldwide by placing 2nd in the Aquatic Gardener Association's 2008 Aquascaping contest, and was the 3rd highest ranked U.S. aquascaper in ADA's aquascaping contest during the same year. His work has been featured regularly, both online and in print, which has opened the door for him to give several presentations over the past 5 years. Jason also maintains a website, Project Aquarium (http://projectaquarium.com), specifically dedicated to keeping planted aquariums.
See you there

zenins

Quote from: charlie on February 10, 2013, 05:44:52 PM
starting with a 10 gallon aquarium and blue gravel.

Yes !  I have a 100 gallon tank with Blue gravel ;)
Zenin

Cichlids: With great challenges come great rewards

zenins

Hi,

If there are speakers all day Saturday, what is on for Saturday evening, or will there be more speakers then as well ?

Will there be sign-in/registration on Friday ?
Any speakers Friday evening ?

Inquiring minds want to know ... heh

;D
Zenin

Fishnut

We had an exec meeting tonight to discuss some details.  There's going to be something on the go Saturday evening...something really fun!!!  It might involve some food and drinking...it might not.

8)

We didn't consider friday evening though...good point.  We have our hall at the hotel from Friday evening until Sunday evening.  Lots of fun can be had in that time :)  We'll update as soon as we get the details ironed out!!

groupie02

I've posted a link to this thread on the Aylmer Salty's FB page. Let's see if more salties come out to the event.

Cheers

Fishnut

charlie

Hobbyist are reminded that tables are available for you to sell your hobby related stuff on Sat. March 23 rd
Members are free - non members 10.00 per table.
Kind Regards
Charlie

zenins

Quote from: Fishnut on February 12, 2013, 12:05:48 AM
It might involve some food and drinking...it might not.

That would be awesome for Saturday evening.

We will be arriving Friday, so if there is nothing in particular scheduled for Friday evening,
we probably would be visiting local fish shops ;)
Where do people recommend we go ?
Shop names and addresses if possible, Please and Thanks !

I visited the aquatic displays at the Museum of Nature a couple of years ago,
the native biotopes were the best :)

I even saw blue gills in the Rideau Canal, but that is not an option at this time of the year ... heh

Zenin

Fishnut

Have a look at our sponsors :) 

shannon333

>>have a manufacturer exhibit and sales room
What does that include?
...new tanks?

charlie

Quote from: shannon333 on February 12, 2013, 03:34:50 PM
>>have a manufacturer exhibit and sales room
What does that include?
...new tanks?
Manufacturer exhibit will be whatever they manufacture, distribute or choose to promote.
It`s a perfect opportunity to meet the reps & ask direct questions & get direct answers.
Hope that helps
Charlie/Errol Choo
President

zenins

Quote from: Fishnut on February 12, 2013, 01:54:06 PM
Have a look at our sponsors :) 

Most seem to be Saltwater/Marine

I keep only Freshwater fish at the moment, but I love to look at Saltwater/Marine setups
Zenin

charlie

Quote from: zenins on February 12, 2013, 01:20:36 PM
That would be awesome for Saturday evening.

We will be arriving Friday, so if there is nothing in particular scheduled for Friday evening,
we probably would be visiting local fish shops ;)
Where do people recommend we go ?
Shop names and addresses if possible, Please and Thanks !

I visited the aquatic displays at the Museum of Nature a couple of years ago,
the native biotopes were the best :)

I even saw blue gills in the Rideau Canal, but that is not an option at this time of the year ... heh

Hi Zenin, our local freshwater LFS is not as abundant as the Toronto region as a result the pickings are limited, one i would definitely suggest is La Niche on the Quebec side of the river apart from them we have Big al`s & Critter Jungle.
We are currently working on some ideas to entertain our guest coming in from out of the city, Sat. evening looks like it`s going to be a get together for all our hobbyist- local or non local, members or non members will be encouraged to join us for supper cocktails & fun conversations - stay tuned.
I will also try to organize something on Fri. evening depending on arrival time of the Majority.
Regards Errol

washefuzzy

What time are the speakers on Sat and how much will it cost?

charlie

Quote from: washefuzzy on February 13, 2013, 12:47:36 PM
What time are the speakers on Sat and how much will it cost?

Speakers are scheduled to begin as early as 9 or 10 AM will go the entire day until 6/7PM
The cost absolutely free
stay tuned a full program will be posted soon.
Hope to see you out.
Regards