New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Aquamania Comments Blog

Started by zenins, March 22, 2013, 03:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zenins

Post here any comments or observations as they happen ( or shortly there after ;)  )
Zenin

Cichlids: With great challenges come great rewards

zenins

Well, we arrived just after 3pm

Traffic was no problem, even across the top of Toronto ;)

Heading out shortly to visit some shops.

See you tonight around 7pm for the USB Fish night :)
Zenin

Shawn84

Glad you made it safe and sound. Ill be seeing you soon. Ill be there around 5ish :)
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

jarmila

We arrived a few minutes ago. Our drive was fine too.

FishBuddy

Just a curiosity, how many of you are coming down for USB Fish Stick Night??? :)

[li]72 gal bow: various exotic cichlids
    [/li]

fischkopp

be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

zenins

Quote from: FishBuddy on March 22, 2013, 04:46:03 PM
Just a curiosity, how many of you are coming down for USB Fish Stick Night??? :)
I am here with some photos of my fish at home, as well as some at Big Al's Kanata
from this afternoon.

The more, the better, bring your USB Fish Stick tonight !
Zenin

zenins

Well, lots of vendors/manufacturer reps are setting up.

I would have liked to see more fish in the USB fish night.
Was cool to see Ron's various public aquariums from around the world.

Going to breakfast now.

First speaker presentation is at 10 am.
Zenin

zenins

Quote from: jarmila on March 22, 2013, 03:59:55 PM
We arrived a few minutes ago. Our drive was fine too.
Wow, you brought a lot of stuff !

I will have to check it all out later today ...
Zenin

Peekay

My son and I attended Dr. Hernandez' talk on fish collection in S.America.  Very interesting!  Great attendence too.  Good to see everyone out.

Remember to visit Rah in vendor room B!   :)

cdylnicki

Hey Peekay!  Were you the lady with the cutie about 10 years old?

I was the lady with the baby!

I bought ramshorn snails ($1 for about 25 snails) to put in my frog/paramecium tanks!

NjOyRiD

I really enjoyed my time there today!!
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

zenins

Well, since Stephan Tanner  had airplane trouble and could not make it to speak today,
the organizers asked if I would do a presentation.
So I gave my Loaches presentation, it was a real test since I had not looked at it for about two years.
I hope everyone in attendance learned something about loaches and will keep
more of these fun fish in their aquariums :)
Zenin

zenins

Terry and I went to La Niche over in Gatineau and to Big Al's Aquarium Services on Innes today.
La Niche was a beautiful shop, but no Rift Lake African cichlids ??
Many plant tanks.  Lots of nice marine display tanks there and Terry liked the birds there too.
BA's on Innes has some interesting fish, including 3 different Madagascar cichlids.
Some nice display tanks.  The Rift Lake African male tank looked awesome.
The Shark tank had no marine fish in it just a few Rift Lake Africans, not sure what will be going on there soon ?
Zenin

Peekay

Quote from: cdylnicki on March 23, 2013, 04:40:20 PM
Hey Peekay!  Were you the lady with the cutie about 10 years old?

Yes, that was me!  He's 9, and will be thrilled you guessed 10.   

If he knew that you keep frogs, he'd have wanted to hear about them .. always asking to set up another tank for amphibious creatures. 

joeyt66

made it up from Kingston . Had a great time. Bought a few things. met some nice people  Hoping this is going to be an annual  event .

tigger

We are only half way through Aquamania and already it has been great. It will be awesome by this time tomorrow.
Thanks to all those who contributed to make it happen!!

charlie

Quote from: zenins on March 23, 2013, 06:39:57 PM
Well, since Stephan Tanner  had airplane trouble and could not make it to speak today,
the organizers asked if I would do a presentation.
So I gave my Loaches presentation, it was a real test since I had not looked at it for about two years.
I hope everyone in attendance learned something about loaches and will keep
more of these fun fish in their aquariums :)

We are gratefull that you stepped up & did a fantastic job A BIG THANK you from all of us at OVAS, this kind of camaraderie reinforces why i choose this hobby.
Thanks

charlie

On behalf of the execs. i`d like to thank you to all that came out today in your numbers, thanks for taking the time to express your gratitude & the positive reinforcement, it was a breath of fresh air, also to all the folks who journeyed from Montreal & Kitchener Waterloo club.Hope to see you all tomorrow at the auction.
Kind Regards

charlie

As mentioned in this blog , Dr Tanner ran into some travelling issues due to no fault of him or us, this prevented him from getting here in time for today, we apologise to any one who was disappointed in the cancellation of his presentation, i`m positive he will join us soon.
Regards

Roland

This was a real treat. The vast array of knowledge, breadth and experience from the speakers as well as enthusiasm was infectious. In a good way. To not have come away with knowledge after listening to, and participating in each seminar would have been difficult.

daworldisblack

Quote from: Peekay on March 23, 2013, 11:47:29 AM
Remember to visit Rah in vendor room B!   :)

Lol thanks Brenda! Appreciate it!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

daworldisblack

Great day today! Awesome stuff from vendors and local club members as well as speakers! Had a great time meeting familiar faces as well as new faces! Hope to see err'one at the auction tomorrow!

charlie

for those that are checking for a visual, here is a quick one  ;D

Montrealguy

I'm going to drop by the auction today for a bit, and I hope to be able to put some faces to the screen names of people I've sort of known (in an e-way) for a long time. See you all there - the fish are packed and the car's all gassed up!

dbl_dbl

Nice to see all the Big Al's regulars in attendance yesterday, great job OVAS.

Peekay

We left the auction today very happy!   :)

Keith was thrilled to get some BN plecos (thanks limmer.. you made his day, and so mine!) and also some lovely swordtails, which were his 'impulse' purchase. 

Congrats to the winners of those beautiful raffle tanks. 

Montrealguy

I'm back in Montreal, and I'd like to take this opportunity to thank OVAS and the many volunteers that made for a very interesting day. OVAS people - you were generous with your time and energy, and that made a pretty successful looking auction.

Now I hope you get some sleep before work tomorrow!

Jeff1192

I was working all weekend and was really bummed out to miss everything this year. It sounds like the organizers did a great job based on all the feedback so far. Great job guys. Hopefully I'll be off next year!!!
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

rockgarden

I hope that a good time was had by all! Once again, I know that I sold at least one of the winning raffle tickets  :)

Really fun to have so many people come up to me over the weekend and talk about the various items of mine that they have purchased in the past.  Even more fun to swap stories about all of the things that we have purchased at past auctions and put away somewhere and not got around to using :-). I brought back some of those items to this year's auction and recycled!!!  ;D

My thanks and congratulations to the organizers and to the other volunteers who helped me with the sale of raffle tickets this year.

Pretty tired at the moment but will try to post some of the pictures in the next day or two.

Ron

cdylnicki

Wow I had a great time!

I got home and laid out all of my goodies - including 3 types of bettas and 3 types of killies (and 3 types of plecos....) hmmm...

So I set up another 2 tanks quickly in my basement for quaranteen.  I must say that the betta ocellatas are by far my favourite.

Ron, thanks for your help out to the car with my 75 gallon tank lid!  I can't wait to set it up.

I can't wait for the auction next year!  Great job everyone!

fishmonger

Was a great day, thanks for letting me help in a small way, the OVAs crowd is so great, everyone working together, even when there's hiccups, they aren't an irritation, cause we all want the same success.  consider me as signed up for next year!

blueknight0303

charlie

OVAS would like to thank each & everyone that made today's auction a very successful day, to our volunteers hats are off to you you did a marvelous job.
A special thanks to all that came out in your numbers .
Regards

Stussi613

Quote from: cdylnicki on March 24, 2013, 08:56:18 PM
Wow I had a great time!

I got home and laid out all of my goodies - including 3 types of bettas and 3 types of killies (and 3 types of plecos....) hmmm...

So I set up another 2 tanks quickly in my basement for quaranteen.  I must say that the betta ocellatas are by far my favourite.

Ron, thanks for your help out to the car with my 75 gallon tank lid!  I can't wait to set it up.

I can't wait for the auction next year!  Great job everyone!

I know I said it a few times today in person, but thanks once again for stepping up at the last minute to help out...your efforts were greatly appreciated by the club!
I haz reef tanks.

Stussi613

I'd also like to thank the Hersteads for jumping up without hesitation to help out as runners when the call for a few extra hands were needed.

I was telling Errol it truly is Karma that you won that gorgeous 4g CAD lights tank in the raffle :)
I haz reef tanks.

Stussi613

Quote from: fishmonger on March 24, 2013, 09:28:52 PM
Was a great day, thanks for letting me help in a small way, the OVAs crowd is so great, everyone working together, even when there's hiccups, they aren't an irritation, cause we all want the same success.  consider me as signed up for next year!

Tank you for helping out!  It was nice to meet you in person.
I haz reef tanks.

zenins

Well, I had fun :)

I got to be an autioneer for the first time !
When Errol and Andre asked if I could provide some auctioneer relief,
I said sure to help out, then I realized I had never been an auctioneer before,
too late to back out now !

In the auction, I got a bag of Xystichromis sp. "dayglow" Rift Lake cichlids and the 5 gallon Metaframe chrome tank,
to join my childhood Metaframe aquarium from the late 1960's ... yes !

I wish I could have stayed past 3pm, but I had a 6 hour drive home, and I have to go back to work on Monday.

I hope to come again next year :)

I will post photos later in the week, it takes time to delete the bad ones, and to upload the rest to Photobucket ... heh
Zenin

limmer

I would like to thank all that helped out at the auction, and the donation of the table signs from La Sam club from Montreal.
This was my second year as Auction Chair and I think it ran a bit smoother this year.
It was nice to see so many people with the same interest, and so many out of town people.

(Peekay, it my brother Limed that gave you the BN Pleco).

charlie

Here are a few from Saturday when i had some time to snap them, I know Zenins & Rockgarden has a bit more they would share.
I should add that our Aqumania sponsors were very happy at what we had put together & has promised to part of it again.
To- Zoo Med, Cobalt& Seachem , we would like to thank you for your support & partnership with OVAS & look forward to working together in the future.
Our Speakers were over the moon with this event & also vowed to be back, the feedback they rated it among the best they have attended, thank you guys so much for coming & sharing your knowledge with us, the friendship we have started will live forever.

Regards Errol

rockgarden

Had fun!

Here is the link to my blog entry for the auction. Check out the blog entries for the Friday and Saturday activities as well. Nice to see everyone.  Missed a few of my friends who couldn't make it out.  For those who care about such things, the bag of MTS that I was looking for  was in my car.  I guess I left it there at 10:30AM when I went off on an errand for Peter.  Happy to report that the MTS survived the 7 hour stay int he car at +5C. 

The 2013 OVAS GIANT AUCTION - http://www.megapixeltravel.com/2013/03/ottawa-valley-aquarium-society-annual-giant-auction-march-24th-2013/

Ron

fischkopp

Now what a fun weekend was that! I enjoyed the presentations on Saturday, chatting with the speakers in the evening and meeting up with lots of old and new folks to talk about the passion that we all share! Great stuff!

The auction day once more was great, and a big thanks goes to everyone how took on a couple of hours drive to join us for that day. The variety of fish that you brought into town was quite amazing! I myself ended up with lots of bags from our friends in Montreal.

A big thanks to any of the Aquamania organizers! An even bigger thank you goes to everyone who joined us and made this a great fishy weekend. What would a hobby be without the hobbyists!
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

limed

Great time even if I didn't buy too many things, too busy running around. But I did win both days 50/50
draws. Great to see the guys/girls from Montreal come down and thanks again for the table numbers.
This is a good start that will lead to bigger things. See you all next year.....

Ed

exv152

Awesome event! I enjoyed the presentation by Jason Baliban, meeting a few new and old folks. I look forward to the next one. But next time I'll cylce a few quarantine tanks in advance just to make room for the nice variety of species brought in, especially from SAM.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

daworldisblack

Awesome event! Thanks for organizing and thanks to all the volunteers! Was definitely fun hanging out with everyone again and geeking out.

Shawn84

Thanks everyone for showing up and helping. It was a great event.
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........

charlie

I have to agree with the others, it has been a while since i saw so much diversity at an OVAS auction, the fish was just incredible, special thank to folks who drove all the way from Sudbury to enrich the fish variety with some quality fish.
Errol

sylros

Quote from: fishmonger on March 24, 2013, 09:28:52 PM
That is great to know as I will be keeping the list of volunteer names for next year, as you guys ROCK!

Thank you for your patience with me, and your hard work. The happy vibe at the event was so powerful. It was awesome.

It was a success this year....imagine next year! We have to start looking for a bigger place!

Anja

What an awesome fish weekend. Loved the presentations, the venue, the auction. (That it was also Midnight Madness was an unexpected cherry on top).

I'm now officially broke, exhausted, and grinning from ear to ear at my loot pile.
250G (Pond) - Comets, Rosy Reds; 20G Retirement - Congo Tetras, BN, Banjo Cats, Pristellas, Buenos Aires Tetras, Zebra Danios; 25G Pygmy Corys, BN, Green Neons, Assassin Snails, 15G Blue Daisy Ricefish, BN, Betta; 6.6G (Edge) - Diamond Head Tetras, 3G Bloody Mary shrimp, 2G Caridina Cantonensis (tangerine tiger)

NjOyRiD

Quote from: sylros on March 25, 2013, 02:36:07 PM
That is great to know as I will be keeping the list of volunteer names for next year, as you guys ROCK!

Thank you for your patience with me, and your hard work. The happy vibe at the event was so powerful. It was awesome.

It was a success this year....imagine next year! We have to start looking for a bigger place!

bigger it will ;)
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

CADlights Canada

Very awesome event, the whole team at OVAS did an amazing job organizing the whole event. A big thank you to the OVAS team. OVAS has a group of wonderful people.

Nienna

What a great experience for my first Giant Auction!

Those who missed the presentations on the first day really missed a lot of good stuff.  I was particularily impressed by Dr. Hernan Lopez-Fernandez's presentation on the South American Fish Collection and Jason Baliban's planted tank presentation and demo.  Jason did a fantastic job with the demo under such harsh conditions, and kept the group engaged and entertained while being educated  :)  I hope we can get him back to hear the photography information!

It was also great to talk to the vendor reps at the tables - they sent really good knowledgable people who took the time to talk if you were interested.

Sylros, feel free to add Jon and I to the volunteer list for next year - I actually enjoyed being a runner for the auction and it was interesting to see the auction from 'the other side'.

Do you think I've overstocked the beautiful CAD lights tank?  ;)

Stussi613

Quote from: Nienna on March 25, 2013, 09:22:36 PM
What a great experience for my first Giant Auction!

Those who missed the presentations on the first day really missed a lot of good stuff.  I was particularily impressed by Dr. Hernan Lopez-Fernandez's presentation on the South American Fish Collection and Jason Baliban's planted tank presentation and demo.  Jason did a fantastic job with the demo under such harsh conditions, and kept the group engaged and entertained while being educated  :)  I hope we can get him back to hear the photography information!

It was also great to talk to the vendor reps at the tables - they sent really good knowledgable people who took the time to talk if you were interested.

Sylros, feel free to add Jon and I to the volunteer list for next year - I actually enjoyed being a runner for the auction and it was interesting to see the auction from 'the other side'.

Do you think I've overstocked the beautiful CAD lights tank?  ;)

This is one of those times when I wish OVAS had a like button!
I haz reef tanks.

ajm1961

Do you think I've overstocked the beautiful CAD lights tank?  ;)
It's a beaut!!

I also agree with your assessment of the event:
- Great speakers: each one provided another interesting perspective about the hobby. Big thanks to Zenin for filling in for Dr. Tanner. I now want loaches!
- Vendors: beautiful displays, great products, good deals, knowledgeable staff - what else can you ask for? Les Wilson is the rock star of fish nutrition!

And the auction of course, is always a blast. It was fun to be an auctioneer, and we managed to get everything wrapped up by 5:00! That's a first I think... and I'm making the shark hat a staple from now on! :P

I want to personally thank all the volunteers for helping out and everyone for coming out and participating!

And lastly, I want to point out that this event is the brainchild of one man who has dreaming about this for a few years now, and it finally came to fruition with the support and work of the OVAS executive. That man is Errol - thank you for having the vision and the drive to make this a reality, it wouldn't have happened without you. This will be the first of many AquaManias to come, and it will only get better.
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

sylros

Will definitely take note of it, we will need even more people next year as it will be bigger than ever!

So glad that you enjoyed the auction. Thanks for you offer to help for next year.

Stussi613

Quote from: ajm1961 on March 25, 2013, 10:22:03 PM
And lastly, I want to point out that this event is the brainchild of one man who has dreaming about this for a few years now, and it finally came to fruition with the support and work of the OVAS executive. That man is Errol - thank you for having the vision and the drive to make this a reality, it wouldn't have happened without you. This will be the first of many AquaManias to come, and it will only get better.

I couldn't agree with this statement more. 

All of the execs, including some of those that have left the club, have worked hard to make this a success, but none more than Errol who had a great vision to do something that brought all hobbyists in Ottawa together regardless of the type of water they keep, membership in the club...or any other issue that we sometimes get bogged down in. 

For me the best moments of the weekend were when Errol choked up speaking about a 9 year old hobbyist who was in attendance who had picked up some of his mothers long forgotten books on fish keeping and got hooked on being an aquarist...and then seeing the same 9 year old throw his hands up in victory after winning a trio of fish he really had his eye on. 

That, to me, is what all of this is about and I am happy and very proud to be a part of it.
I haz reef tanks.

ajm1961

Quote from: rockgarden on March 25, 2013, 09:44:46 AM
Here is the link to my blog entry for the auction.
The 2013 OVAS GIANT AUCTION - http://www.megapixeltravel.com/2013/03/ottawa-valley-aquarium-society-annual-giant-auction-march-24th-2013/
Ron
Ron: thanks again for taking pictures and posting on your site. Great shots!

Does anyone else have any pics to share here?
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

charlie

Thanks guys, i am still high on the success we had, but must also add had it not been for the countless hrs by a great set of execs. this would not have been possible, we stood the test & saw it through to the end sleep deprived & exhausted my personal gratitude to each & every Exec. that give it your attention, looking forward to seeing it flourish over time .
Thanks Errol

zenins

Quote from: rockgarden on March 25, 2013, 09:44:46 AM
Had fun!

Here is the link to my blog entry for the auction. Check out the blog entries for the Friday and Saturday activities as well. Nice to see everyone.  Missed a few of my friends who couldn't make it out.  For those who care about such things, the bag of MTS that I was looking for  was in my car.  I guess I left it there at 10:30AM when I went off on an errand for Peter.  Happy to report that the MTS survived the 7 hour stay int he car at +5C. 

Ron

Hey Ron,

I have started a photos thread in the Aquarmania 2013 forum, you should post your link there as well ...

Zenin

zenins

Quote from: charlie on March 25, 2013, 08:38:59 AM
Here are a few from Saturday when i had some time to snap them, I know Zenins & Rockgarden has a bit more they would share.
I should add that our Aqumania sponsors were very happy at what we had put together & has promised to part of it again.
To- Zoo Med, Cobalt& Seachem , we would like to thank you for your support & partnership with OVAS & look forward to working together in the future.
Our Speakers were over the moon with this event & also vowed to be back, the feedback they rated it among the best they have attended, thank you guys so much for coming & sharing your knowledge with us, the friendship we have started will live forever.

Regards Errol

Hey Errol,

I have started a photos thread in the Aquarmania 2013 forum, you should post your link there as well ...

Zenin

rockgarden

A couple of images which I didn't include in the blog:

On Friday night when everyone was running around looking for water to fill the display aquariums, Errol quickly sat down and drank his last bottle  :)

Zenin, on the other hand, was occasionally seen talking to the computer!  >:(