New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

GE Silicon II

Started by magnosis, June 28, 2011, 11:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magnosis

Can GE Silicon II be used to glue ABS and PVC together ?

RossW

Why would you not use PVC/ABS glue?

Any hardware store should have it for $5-$10.

morrom

I would have to agree with Ross, Use the right tool for the job in this case glue. The Silicon "might" work but when there are options you know that will work go with that.
Just my 2ยข worth

magnosis

An employee from CTC told me ABS glue would not hold on PVC, and PVC glue would not work on ABS.

Is this just a gimmick to sell me 2 products instead of 1 that works for both ?

I could not find one that was labelled for both ABS and PVC.

Also I have a few pieces that are not perfect fit, there are gaps of 0.5-1 mm in some places. I though silicon would do a better job there but I don't know how it does under (moderate) pressure, on these materials.

morrom

No its not a gimmick to get you to buy 2 different products, PVC and ABS glue work only with the appropriate type of tubing. The glue works on a chemical level melting the plastic of the pipes and when it dries it fuses the pipes together. The chemical make up of PVC and ABS is different hence why you need different glues.
Again I would again advise against using the silicon you are better off buying one type of tubing either PVC or ABS, and getting the appropriate type of glue for that product. Also trying to join pieces that don't really fit is a bad idea IMO, just buy new tubing it might cost you a little more now but the heart ache it will save you later when it fails will be worth the cost of a job well done in the end.

RossW

There is multi-purpose ABS/PVC glue.  In fact, I think I have an extra bottle, not sure where in the city you are.
http://www.oatey.com/apps/catalog/instance_assets/assets/Submittal_Sheet/Oatey_ABS_to_PVC_Transition_Green.pdf

If the pieces are not a snug fit AND you are not prepared for a leak/flood, I would find a different solution.

magnosis

Quote from: morrom on June 29, 2011, 09:25:07 AM
The glue works on a chemical level melting the plastic of the pipes and when it dries it fuses the pipes together. The chemical make up of PVC and ABS is different hence why you need different glues.

Ah, that makes sense now. Thanks for the explanation.

Quote from: morrom on June 29, 2011, 09:25:07 AM
Also trying to join pieces that don't really fit is a bad idea IMO, just buy new tubing it might cost you a little more now but the heart ache it will save you later when it fails will be worth the cost of a job well done in the end.
Quote from: RossW on June 29, 2011, 09:45:34 AM
If the pieces are not a snug fit AND you are not prepared for a leak/flood, I would find a different solution.

Lol I can see myself trying to work a bunch of salvaged plumbing parts together... it almost looks like an episode of Canada's Worst Handyman.  I can so imagine the disaster when I turn on the filter  ::)  :P

Bah, I admit it.  I'm guilty of refusing to go back to the store because I have boxes full of parts here -.-  I have about every sizes of tubing and fittings possible, except those I actually need ;-)

dan2x38

Silicone WILL NOT hold it together or even seal it from a leak. Test it... take two old pieces of each and silicone them together try to pull or work them apart you'll see how bad an idea it would be. Lowes I know sells the ABS/PVC cement b/c I bought some and used it to bond ABS - PVC works like a dream. It is never worth band aiding plumbing together just another episode for Canada's Worst Aquarist... LMAO  ;)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."