New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Changes Due To Time Of Use Electricty

Started by RossW, October 05, 2010, 09:02:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RossW

What changes do you have planned with the new "time of use" electricty rates?

I think I will reduce the lenth of time my lights are on and also change the start time from 10 AM to 7 PM.

I also think we will do the majority of laundry on the weekend if we can, and run the dishwasher before we leave for work.

holachicka

Same as some of what you listed above Ross - laundry on the weekends are a given, no option about running the dishwasher before leaving for work as she is in school from 7:20 - 3:30 (haha), I will be turning off my computers at night and before work (if used in the morning), I have already started unplugging microwave when not in use and I think I will just flip the switch on the power bar for my TV, DVD, Cable box, Wii and PS2. They may not be "on" but they still sip at electricity in standby mode. Uh...I don't know what else right now but I am sure I will get some wonderful ideas as others start posting their money saving tips!

Does anyone know how to find out when certain locations will be fitted for "time of use" rates?

RossW

I got a letter in the mail a couple weeks ago telling me as of Oct. 22'nd I would be switching  :(

Quote from: holachicka on October 05, 2010, 10:14:29 AM
Does anyone know how to find out when certain locations will be fitted for "time of use" rates?

RossW

I need to get a power meter and understand what in my home is sipping when it is turned off and how much.

HomerJ

Quote from: RossW on October 05, 2010, 10:32:08 AM
I need to get a power meter and understand what in my home is sipping when it is turned off and how much.

Canadian Tire has a cheap one.  19.99 IIRC.  I went around the house with it and it`s amazing all the things that suck juice even when powered off.

Severum

You can get Kill-a-watts from the public library for free.
Regards,
Steve Everum

"We like people for their qualities, but love them for their defects."

120 gallon reef

Nerine

we bought one as the library loan was only 1 week hehe and we had so many other things to test!!

we are going to get screwed over with this...we pay 15 cents a kwh right now...counting delivery fees and all that. with the size of family we have and house we have cut our consumption from 84 (average) kwh per day to 35. and that was by taking out breakers, pulling wires, getting rid of lights and doing full loads of laundry and using the line!! AHH!! I'm not looking forward to paying more with this new system.

Can we protest?? I am saving my pennies for solar panels and then will be able to stick my tongue out at the hydro company haha 8)
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Brent Shaver

There is programs out there now that not only will they fit your place with panels you actually get paid for the power.  If I owned a house I would do it in a heartbeat.

Problem with this is everyone needs power due to lifestyle and they know it.  I know I am installing panels at the trailer next year and they can take there hydro bill and put it where solar panels dont work.

holachicka

Quote from: Brent Shaver on October 05, 2010, 01:03:03 PM
There is programs out there now that not only will they fit your place with panels you actually get paid for the power.  If I owned a house I would do it in a heartbeat.

That's right Brent - and believe it or not, they are paying .85 a Kwh. The one program I know about it already underway. The closing date has come and past and it is now in the second stages of the process. The City is hoping to have all roofs retrofitted and the program finished by March 15th 2011 but they have already pushed back the preliminary dates a few times. The main criteria for qualification is the roof cannot be more than 5 years old, if it is, in our case 18 yrs old, it needs to be replaced (NOT covered in the grant money provided, grant money is for panels and engineering costs)  - a wopping amount of money but nothing compared to the income projected over the next 20 years!! This one program may be already in affect and so too late to apply for but I am sure they will come up with more, if not already. All you need to do is contact the City and the OPA (Ontario Power Authority) and see what they have open. This lastest project was open to business' as well as private home owners. It was a long process but with the 85K grant allotted and the income over 20 years, the condo I live in will pocket almost 200K over time...now, seeing they are buying the power for more than they are selling it, you basically get to electricity for free...as a homeowner...for me and the fellow members where I live, it will be capital for the condo, not for use individually...sigh...

FishPassion

Nerine

I have been looking for someone that will split the cost with me to run an extension cord to that new solar farm a couple of miles down the road from us are you in?? :D :D :D
80 corner diamond
110 short
40 cube

JetJumper

Quote from: Brent Shaver on October 05, 2010, 01:03:03 PM

Problem with this is everyone needs power due to lifestyle and they know it.  I know I am installing panels at the trailer next year and they can take there hydro bill and put it where solar panels dont work.

With regards to solar

Pros:
it is a great idea
they pay a good rate if selling back to the grid (Which this money is paid by the gov. using tax payers money just in case you were not aware.)
renewable energy

Cons:
efficiency ratings of panels suck for cheap ones, expensive ones are not that much better
needs little to no cloud cover
if you want to be completely off the grid more expense for batteries / generator
CPW (Cost per watt) is high! but coming down.

On average I have seen panels around $6/watt for decent panels.  You can get as cheap as $3-4/w but the efficiency of the panels are below par.

Then you have to have Power conversion equipment as well since most panels output DC voltage.  You need to convert this to AC for your appliances to run.  More added costs.

Solar is a HUGE expense for sure.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Brent Shaver

Agreed it is pricey to start, but the return has many bonuses.

For my trailer to be completely off the grid is $2500, which is paid off in 5 years min per site prices.  Also they cant limit what I can use.

Not to mention the biggest one, if more would go solar, then the monopolies that control the power would have no choice but to drop pricing to make up for losses.

I use one on my boat to keep my batteries charged.  I have not had to charge my batteries since I installed the panel.

I just love anything that take the powerhouse companies and lightens there bank account even if it is only a little bit.

I also agree research is the key, low watt panels are pretty much a waste of money.

acers

Ross

I have a blue line power meter you can borrow

24g Aquapod : SW

JetJumper

Back to the original topic, I will most likely not change anything.  My billing will be changed over to a locked in 5.4c/kWh. 

Nerine

I'm so in!!! I have been wondering who's going to use all that power down the road...all those beautiful shiny panels, just sitting there...you think they would miss a few??? LOL
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats

Jeff1192

This time of use stuff is such a huge tax grab it's disgusting. But to the topic I switched my late timers so they come on much later in the day. We have small kids so there's always laundry to do but we try to do it after 9 when we can. We also delay start the dishwasher. So far our bill hasn't gone up too much.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

JetJumper

Quote from: Jeff1192 on October 05, 2010, 09:52:53 PM
This time of use stuff is such a huge tax grab it's disgusting.

I wish it were true but its not.  My father works for an independent Hydro Power producer and what consumers pay versus what the electrical companies purchase that power from the producers is very different.

Take for instance the solar everyone is talking about here.

Producers get paid 0.80c~/kWh.  Consumers pay anywhere from 5-9c/kWh.  Where do you think the different is made up?  Tax payers pockets. (hence Hydro One being bailed out from the gov. and the dept repayment charge.)  So if there is more and more solar on the market at 0.85c/kWh there is going to be a HUGE!!!! strain on the tax coffers.  Hence the raising of pricing to 9c/kWh now.  It will probably get worse down the road in 5-10 years again.

I am all for Portable Nuclear though!
http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/09/portable-backyard-nuclear-reactors-ready-by-2013.php

Saltcreep

Quote from: Jeff1192 on October 05, 2010, 09:52:53 PM
This time of use stuff is such a huge tax grab it's disgusting. But to the topic I switched my late timers so they come on much later in the day. We have small kids so there's always laundry to do but we try to do it after 9 when we can. We also delay start the dishwasher. So far our bill hasn't gone up too much.

Jeff
I understand the basics of this TOU thing, but why do the appliance manufacturers not? We have an almost new laundry pair. Our water is heated by gas but the clothes dryer is electric. The manufacturer, in their infinite wisdom, has chosen to put a delay start feature on the washer; a good idea, but the amount of electricity used or saved is minuscule. The delay start feature is not available on the electric dryer. Go figure that one out.

Nerine

I wish we paid 9 cents :P lol how do I get in on that?! LOL

JetJumper

Quote from: Nerine on October 06, 2010, 01:25:08 AM
I wish we paid 9 cents :P lol how do I get in on that?! LOL

http://www.hydroone.com/RegulatoryAffairs/RatesPrices/Pages/ResidentialDeliveryRates.aspx

Going from their rates listed...

6.5 - 7.5

***I have not been including the distribution / extra charges in my messages.***

If you factor in all the extras then yes its around 11-14c/kWh