New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Just got a new camera

Started by Darth, October 16, 2010, 07:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth

So I decided to buy a new camera, was looking for something that was gonna last, and not be obsolete next year, while still being cost effective. So I settled on a cannon rebel xs dslr. So I was wondering if anyone knew any good websites, or groups I could join that could help figure out how to use this thing!! LOL, as far as point and shoot it takes fantastic pics, but there is so much more I could do just need a push in the right direction

Hookup

Photography on the web - Google that, it's a cannon photography forum

Also www.luminous-landscape.com has great articles.

The photography forum on reef central has occasional gems of info as well.

Books
Brian Peterson, understanding exposure
Brian Peterson, learning to see creatively
Imo these two are must haves.

garnpet

Once you get past the "how does this thing work phase", if you are interested in getting critiques on your photos check out http://www.photosig.com/go/main .  It can be a bit intimidating at first, but the feedback (for the most part) is constructive.
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

Darth

thanks guys anyone know of any amatuer classes in the ottawa area?

Saltcreep

Quote from: Darth on October 17, 2010, 09:11:14 PM
thanks guys anyone know of any amatuer classes in the ottawa area?

My wife is four weeks into a thirteen week course in digital photography at Algonguin. Three hours, one night a week. Her verdict after a couple of weeks was 'fantastic'. It's actually a credit course and she's thoroughly enjoying it. She's using a Nikon D90, I think. If I remember correctly, the course started in September and comes up again in January. I think the tuition was $300.00.

garnpet

Henry's also offers short courses on a variety of topics. They might even have one geared towards your specific camera.

Henrys.ca
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><