New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Favorite Books/Series

Started by holachicka, November 02, 2010, 12:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holachicka

With today being the release date of the latest Wheel of Time book by Robert Jordan, it reminded me of Hookup's post in the previous lounge about peoples favorite reads...and I wanted to share my excitement for todays purchase!!

This series was originally meant to be 12 books but has now be extended to 14. The 12th book, The Gathering Storm, The thirteenth (and second-last) book in the Wheel of Time series is titled Towers of Midnight, the fourteenth and last book, A Memory of Light.

The last three books in The Wheel of Time are being written by established fantasy author Brandon Sanderson, who was selected by Harriet McDougal, the widow of the original author, Robert Jordan, after tragically passed away in September 2007 to finish Jordan's masterpiece.

I read the original 11 books in 8 months and had waited over a year for the last book only to find out it was being slit in 3 books. Last Oct I read the 12th and TODAY, the 13th is realeased...I am going to get my copy RIGHT NOW!!!  :D

Oh, in the meantime, I have read Sara Dougless, Dark Glass Mountain (great series), Terry Brooks Kingdom of Landover (way better than the Shanara series) and lastly, I am currently reading the last book of the Wizards First Rule, Legends of the Seeker series by Terry Goodkind - an 11 book series that, in my opinion, rivals Robert Jordan too closely to pick a winner!!

Whats your favorite read?

mseguin

I can't remember how far I've read into the Wheel of Time, 10 or 11 I think. Great universe he built, he just went on too long, IMO. Also read the Sword of Truth, different style, his characters are very well written and developped, his story telling not quite as good. My all time favorite is still A Song of Ice and Fire, now waiting for book 5, as well as the HBO series coming next year.

Brent Shaver

"The Lord of the Rings" is the greatest trilogy, IMO.  Although the movies were good they still didnt compare to the books.

freshfishies

Quote from: Brent Shaver on November 02, 2010, 12:48:19 PM
"The Lord of the Rings" is the greatest trilogy, IMO.  Although the movies were good they still didnt compare to the books.

100% agree! Might I add that I happen to have a tattoo of the evenstar pendant that Arwynn gives Aragorn & also to Frodo before he leaves Minas Tirith?  8) 

I have read 'Where The Red Fern Grows' probably a dozen times, as well as 'Black Beauty' .
I used to frequent the dark/twisted side of Dean Koontz and Stephen King, but am growing bored with the same old stuff.
'Twilight' stole my heart (what?! don't judge me! lol)
And most recently I discovered J.R.Ward.
I have to admit though, that these days my fish mag subscriptions are keeping me busy  :P

holachicka

Quote from: freshfishies on November 02, 2010, 01:19:46 PM
'Twilight' stole my heart (what?! don't judge me! lol)

no judging here - I totally loved this series!

As for the tattoo you have....soooooo cool! Do you have a pic? The only tattoo I have, so far, is of my daughters initials on my wrist...I am terrified of needles  :-\

Nerine

one of our previous members has a tree on her back :D White tree of gondor if I'm correct?? it's been a zillion of years since I've read the books :)

Space Trilogy - Adult fairy tales is my favourite series...CS Lewis - Out of the Silent Planet, Perelandra, That Hideous Strength
and anything by Issac Asimov! and Nancy Kress - her Beggars in Spain series, AWESOME (though expensive now) and Jacqueline Carey's Kushiel series :D way too many books to list as my favourites hahaha
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

2075turner

Quote from: Brent Shaver on November 02, 2010, 12:48:19 PM

ditto, love them

holachicka

One of the LOTRs was on TV last night - I think I will have to rewatch them as I barely remembered much of it...I feel a movie marathon weekend coming up :D