New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

No action in saltwater ?? And classifieds

Started by bandit, February 08, 2013, 12:00:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greatwhite

Quote from: Stussi613 on February 12, 2013, 02:10:21 PM
You have a forum to share experiences in, but as a club we can't de-couple the forum into its own entity.  Nobody is saying you have to join the club to use the forum, you just can't post in the classifieds as a non-member and have to abide by the rules you agreed to when you signed up. You are more than welcome at OVAS, as is everyone who follows the rules.

In the same token, I am here for the forum to share experience, help people start up to avoid the mistakes that I've made, seek help when needed, and socialize while hiding behind my computer.  I don't have any interest in attending functions and be all "club" ish.

I paid my membership fee to help keep the forum up and running...  I don't even use the classifieds...  *shrug*  :)

Darth

Quote from: Stussi613 on February 12, 2013, 12:49:22 PM
Darth,

With all due respect, this forum is an extension of a club...it's not a standalone entity.

perhaps you misread or misunderstood me, because nowhere did I ever say the forum is a seperate entity, if you read my posts you would see that I have stated over and over that the forum is NOT the club, but a part of it, I have also said I dont have the desire to attend meetings and what not, I would just want access to the forum, you want someone to mod the classifieds I will do it, I don't have a problem with it

Fishnut

Lol...Darth.  Are you sure about that?  It's more than a full time job.  No time for work, not time for family, socializing or anything...maybe you'll get a bathroom break and enough time to eat...maybe.

We're absolutely not opening up the classifieds.  The exec made a decision that we feel benefits the club as a whole...including those who support the decision.  It was discussed at length, voted on and the motion carried.  Please stop asking and suggesting we reverse our decision because the whole exec group is against opening them up...ALL OF US.  It's just not going to happen.

Now lets see how many people jump in to call us a bunch of control freaks, power mongers, etc...  Maybe we can get to page 10  ;D

Darth

Quote from: Fishnut on February 12, 2013, 04:34:35 PM
Lol...Darth.  Are you sure about that?  It's more than a full time job.  No time for work, not time for family, socializing or anything...maybe you'll get a bathroom break and enough time to eat...maybe.

We're absolutely not opening up the classifieds.  The exec made a decision that we feel benefits the club as a whole...including those who support the decision.  It was discussed at length, voted on and the motion carried.  Please stop asking and suggesting we reverse our decision because the whole exec group is against opening them up...ALL OF US.  It's just not going to happen.

Now lets see how many people jump in to call us a bunch of control freaks, power mongers, etc...  Maybe we can get to page 10  ;D
Honestly this is exactly what I suspected the answer to be, thanks so much for proving everyone's point. I personally appreciate you taking the time to prove to me (in my opinion ) why I would NEVER renew my membership, I see no point in supporting a club, when "the Club" asks for solutions and many many are given the response is lets see who calls us power mongers I applaud you well done!!!

Thanks
Steven

JetJumper

Quote from: Darth on February 12, 2013, 05:23:10 PM
Honestly this is exactly what I suspected the answer to be, thanks so much for proving everyone's point. I personally appreciate you taking the time to prove to me (in my opinion ) why I would NEVER renew my membership, I see no point in supporting a club, when "the Club" asks for solutions and many many are given the response is lets see who calls us power mongers I applaud you well done!!!

Thanks
Steven

[facebook]LIKE[/facebook]
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Darth

bandit

Well put Darth, this was actually a good thread with great ideas and conversation.

I originally started the post to see what we all can do to help out ovas, it was not just a thread on opening the classifieds. Unfortunately there has been many hasty remarks directed towards me. I have sense requested to have my membership refunded as I feel I have been misled to what ovas is about and will not stand for the abuse I incurred via PM from Fishnut.

This will be my last post on ovas, until things change.

Could a moderator or exec send me and address so I can return my ovas card.

I would like to thank all the members, mods and exec who tried to make this a better place and especially Stussi for letting us vent and trying to help.

Fare well.

Sandy

I personally enjoyed reading this thread, I didn't think anyone was bashing the execs. Everyone deserves to voice their opinion. Its called freedom of speech.

sas

This thread has been moderated.
Please can we get back to the positive, constructive ideas that everyone has,
if not the thread will get locked and that benefits no one.
Thank you everyone for your cooperation.

Darth

okay so the question has been asked how do we get more traffic to the site, and the census has been the classifieds is the reason, now obviously thats not gonna happen. The members have chimed in with ideas, but the execs have provided nothing either, have you not discussed whats the best way to make the club thrive, because as much as th forum is only a part of the club, the club would be a lot worse off without it imo. Seems the club has been doing the same thing over and over, giant auction, guest speakers, bbq, blah blah. Perhaps during the meetings while you are discussing the club and "brainstorming" on ways to make it better, instead of the execs are discussing it, why not share some of the ideas with the others here? Perhaps there is a great idea that just needs to be tweaked. Lately it just seems that its the execs against everyone else, and the reason for that is the execs. They don't involve anyone else till the decision is made, you have to understand without members what does the club have some execs who  together once a week/month or whatever and say well we didn't do anything wrong they just didnt like the rules and left, well that is not the best way to think. If this is to be a club it needs to be treated as a club, and perhaps decisions need to be a club thing. Yes the execs still volunteer to take care of these things, and set them in motion, but it just seems lately its this is what we as the powers that be have discussed, like or leave it. And to be honest that doesnt leave a warm fuzzy feeling. So as this thread has turned into a fight (by which the first blow was cast by an  exec) it lost its way. One person suggested advertising in retail, perhaps there is room in the budget to print stickers or fridge magnets that sponsers can hand out to customers, something physical they can take home instead of hey join ovas, and the person is thinking can't wait to go home and put all this new stuff in my tank, and what join who, oh yeah fish. Put a fridge magnet in the bag as a bag stuffer and you increase the chance of that person remembering the site. So again there have been a few ideas, so perhaps the execs that make the decisions on how this club is run can throw some ideas into the hat

ajm1961

Thanks for the input Darth. Appreciate the effort.
Cheers.
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

Papdul16

My opimion is you should ask all members to vote on the classified section.

Very simple QUESTION : Should  the classified section be open  to everyone ?

I 'm not a paying member of OVAS but I kind of give the club money at the giant Auction as I bring some equipment and fish which they keep 25 % of my sale which I don't have a problem with.   I'm basically giving my stuff away at the auction as we all know how cheap some of the stuff goes for especially at the end.  I could get a lot more in a private sales but this is my weird way of SUPPORTING the club.

7 tanks running of African cichlids

Greatwhite

Quote from: Darth on February 13, 2013, 07:49:18 AM
One person suggested advertising in retail, perhaps there is room in the budget to print stickers or fridge magnets that sponsers can hand out to customers, something physical they can take home instead of hey join ovas, and the person is thinking can't wait to go home and put all this new stuff in my tank, and what join who, oh yeah fish. Put a fridge magnet in the bag as a bag stuffer and you increase the chance of that person remembering the site.

Fridge magnets, or see about getting custom printed stick-on thermometers... You know - for aquariums...?  Yeah, I know they don't really work "great", but it's something aquarium related and new people to the hobby wouldn't know any better. ;)  Then it's RIGHT THERE while they are working on their aquarium.

Stussi613

I haz reef tanks.

Darth

what about partnering with some of the sponsors for like a gift card give away or gift certificate maybe like win a $25 gift card or a free membership for details visit the forum www.ovas.ca. Since the stores say they are seeing a lot of NEW customers, why not ask them to offer some wall space to hang a sign? It wouldn't cost them anything, but it may give the shop owners a chance to talk about ovas, and even if people only come once here its  a seed, and they may come back, offer a prize, so they have to come here to register (I don't even know how that would work) but then they also have to come back to see if they won. Odds are the average person will look around the forum see its benefits, and may decide to stay. Unfortunately everyone wants something for nothing, but even if 1 person joins, its one more then before. Again just a suggestion, I really don't want to give up on this place because I have had learned so much and met so many great people, and as much as I don't agree with all that has transpired here as of late, but I am willing to try and make it better  ;D

Stussi613

Our sponsors actually do a great job of promoting OVAS, we've asked about putting signs up, but wall space can be hard to get at corporate stores. Most of our sponsors have our newsletter, and Az actually bought and gave away 5 memberships this season.

We actually give out prizes at every meeting. You don't have to be a member to attend your first few meetings, this year some of the non members have won some pretty great prizes...like a Fluval CO2 system.

I like the idea of the gift cards, but I think it could be difficult for the sponsors to administer.  We have to be cognizant that their primary goal is to service customers and not promote OVAS. I could be wrong, but that's my initial impression.

I'm glad I left this thread open and we're getting some constructive suggestions.  We genuinely want to hear from the people that use this club, members and non-members alike. 
I haz reef tanks.

Greatwhite

Since we're spitballin'...  In regards to memberships & fees...  Someone mentioned previously (in this thread?) that other forums have a donation based membership, and the donation you make may get you an item from a magnet up to a t shirt or something...

I had a thought that is simpler than that, and would probably work just fine with the forum system with no config changes...

What about 3 levels of membership?

Level 1 - Free, has access to forum only, no classifieds
Level 2 - $10, has access to forum and classifieds
Level 3 - $20, has access to forum and classifieds, and gets the OVAS card that entitles them to discounts at some sponsors and free admission to events.

Yes, the classifieds are still locked to members only... $10 is somewhere around 1/2 the cost of what people seem unwilling to pay to have access to the classifieds...  I think that part of the reason people don't want to pay is that they are not interested in going to the events, so don't really want to be part of the "club" as a whole...  $10 goes toward paying for the hosting of the forum and whatever costs are involved in that.

76brian

As for ideas to promote the club, does OVAS sponsor a tank anywhere in a public place?

I was thinking if we rounded up enough equipment to donate a nice setup to say, CHEO, for example... or some other place that would get a lot of attention from kids and families, it would draw interest in the hobby and good exposure for the club.

Members would have to volunteer to maintain it of course, but I'm pretty sure there's no lack of love for aquatics around here.

There could be a nice plaque or something beside it:

"Donated and Maintained by the Ottawa Valley Aquarium Society
www.ovas.ca"

I've never seen mention of it on here, but it seems like an obvious way to promote the hobby and the club.