New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Tom Barr`s open house

Started by charlie, July 23, 2014, 09:17:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

charlie

daworldisblack

Nice! Thanks for the share! I gotta get me a pair of one of those! Looks pretty exclusive tho!
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

wolfiewill

That looks like a 90 gallon, on which he has 432 watts of T5 HO. That'll keep the plants from getting leggy, eh. But thanks for sharing that. I like watching those types of video.
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

Stussi613

Quote from: wolfiewill on July 23, 2014, 11:21:05 PM
That looks like a 90 gallon, on which he has 432 watts of T5 HO. That'll keep the plants from getting leggy, eh.

That's a little over 4 watts per gallon, which I thought was what higher light plants needed...unless plantedtank.net is wrong?
I haz reef tanks.

charlie

The tank is actually 120 gallons, non standard 120 measurements.
The previous fixture  8x54 watt ATI died on the Wed. before this video was taken, he is using a 8x54 fixture from a hydroponic shop.
He did at one time switch to LED but reverted back to the T5 HO.
point to note is the distance of the fixture above the tank.

wolfiewill

Quote from: charlie on July 24, 2014, 01:18:53 PM
The tank is actually 120 gallons, non standard 120 measurements.
The previous fixture  8x54 watt ATI died on the Wed. before this video was taken, he is using a 8x54 fixture from a hydroponic shop.
He did at one time switch to LED but reverted back to the T5 HO.
point to note is the distance of the fixture above the tank.

It looks like about 12 inches. If it's a 120 g tank, he's got 3.6 watts per gallon. Why did he drop the LED lights? Do you know?
"Don't tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don't tell them where they know the fish." Mark Twain

exv152

Not totally sure, just a guess, but he probably dropped the LEDs because he didn't get the red colours for his plants. T5HOs are still a favourite of mine, but LEDs are not far behind.

I especially liked his high-end scissors, that must've set him back a whole $1.99...lol.

Also, I like his tips for trimming HC and staurogyne repens.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

wolfiewill

Quote from: Stussi613 on July 24, 2014, 12:44:28 PM
That's a little over 4 watts per gallon, which I thought was what higher light plants needed...unless plantedtank.net is wrong?/quote]

Ya, 4.8 w/g, but I guess you're right. He knows what he's doing though and most who try that much light have a tough time balancing everything else to keep the algae down.

wolfiewill

Quote from: exv152 on July 24, 2014, 06:58:02 PM
Also, I like his tips for trimming HC and staurogyne repens.

I had a hard time hearing him, but I like to see how the gurus do it. His pronunciation of the scientific names was different from what I've heard before as well so it made it even harder to get everything as he was talking.

fischkopp

Thanks for sharing. Good idea for trimming the front.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

lucius

Maybe I'm missing the sarcasm but he may be using Fiskar scissors and they are actually kind of pricey.  Back when I was part of a fishing club, Fiskar scissors were the only ones that I found that could cut my braided fishing line so they are very sharp.

http://www.staples.ca/en/Fiskars-Original-Orange-Handled-Scissors-8-inch/product_116301_2-CA_1_20001