New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

C02 no longer being absorbed

Started by grenso, November 21, 2007, 01:57:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grenso

Initially when I started injecting C02 into this container, it was being absorbed into the water really fast. When the container started filling up, the rate of absorption went down and I am wondering why? I have done this several times and the result is always the same. It almost seems like once the container is almost full of C02 it is no longer being absorbed anymore. If it is, then the rate of absorption is hardly noticable. I am also planning on using a powerhead, to mix things a little bit, but the puzzle is not solved.

Grenso

[attachment deleted by admin]

fischkopp

Have you cross checked the CO2 level already dissolved in the water column? I am not 100% sure on this but it can be that you already reached the maximal saturation. In this case the CO2 would just collect in the bottle. This could be a stationary problem though and you may be able to get more CO2 dissolved when you increase the water circulation in the tank / around the bottle opening.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

jetstream

I think you need to modify your design a bit! I guess you are using a power head to mixed your tank water with the CO2 gas inside the container. There're three possible causes, 1st is your power head's flow rate is not strong enough to dissolve the CO2 gas inside the bottom, 2nd is your CO2 is a new batch and the reaction is faster than the powerhead can handle, the last one is, there's chance leaves are stucked at the inlet.  Believe me! You need lots of CO2 to reach saturation!  :D

BigDaddy

jetstream, I don't think he is using it as a reactor, it looks to be a simple bell design

grenso, bell designs work best when you have a very large surface area between the CO2 bubble and the water.  You might want to try a different bell shape to maximize the surface area between the too.

Otherwise, bells are pretty ineffecient.  You can make a reactor very cheaply with a power head and a gravel vac tube.  Your CO2 dissolve rates will be much higher.

grenso

So after a few suggestions from you guys in regards to my less absorbed C02 in the container I decided to add something from one of my filters. I am just using one of the propellerheads from the filter to move the water as well as breakdown the C02 particles. I will know whether this has worked or not a few days from now. I just added these pictures today.

[attachment deleted by admin]