New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Shop lights... Safe?

Started by hamstercaster, November 19, 2007, 08:23:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hamstercaster

Hi, I just purchased a 94 gallon long tank (60 x 18 X 20) that came with a cabinet and canopy but no lights.  I'm looking for an inexpensive solution for lighting.  All I need the lighting for is to see the fish really as there will be no live plants whatsoever in the tank.  Can I use the Canadian Tire or Rona shop fluorescents without any problem.. ie rusting to fast or shorting because of humidity etc.?  They are quite inexpensive and would prove to be the right solution for me if that will work. 

Thanks

babblefish1960

Absolutely, there are many of us out here that have been using these things for many, many years and saving tons of money this way.  Go for it.

darkdep

I second that.  There is no more cost-effective way to get light on a tank.

hamstercaster

Thanks a bunch guys.  As usual, your wisdom is much appreciated

charlie

hamstercaster

Thanks Charlie.. will also look into that.

Adam

Check out home depot...I saw a double 48" polished aluminum shoplight with some kind of individual reflectors for $30?  I thought it would be great if I was looking for that type of lighting.
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

Toss

Yeah, I am using home depot shop light, polished/shiny body all around with reflector, 2x 40W, 48" long for $34. I attached it to my canopy with no glass underneath it. It has been close to three years now.
75 gal - Mosquito rasbora, Bushynose pleco, RCS
9 gal - CRS
40 gal - Longfin Albino Bushynose pleco, RCS