New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Suggestions for tall plants

Started by Jeff1192, March 08, 2008, 03:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff1192

I'm looking for some ideas for tall plants for the back of my tank. It's filling in well but there are a few spots I'd like to fill in. I currently have val, broad leaf hygro and a tall skinny crypt that I forget the name of. Any other suggestions for something that grows quite tall (24" or so). I tried hygro polysperma in the back but they always end up growing out to the sides as opposed to straight up. I've also tried some large swords but when their original leaves were trimmed off the new ones that came in were much shorter. I'm also looking for a tall rigid plants that would do ok under my hob where the flow won't flatten it out.

I've got a 90 gallon tank with about 1.7 watts per gallon of T5HO lightning, a flourite substrate and no CO2.

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

dan2x38

How about the onion plant species?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Laura

I've got I have a 24" tall tank too and agree that aquascaping can be quite difficult, especially at the back of the tank.

The crypt you have is probably balansae.

I have more watts per gallon than you, but my tank also doesn't have CO2. Most of my stem plants are quite leggy for the first 6" from the bottom and then start getting enough light to grow nicely. 

If you can get your hands on one of the plant contest plants, it's amazing; very attractive and tall and bushy.
- Crinum calamistratum - a tall thin plant - good for contrast.
- pennywort does very well in my tank, and I also good growth at the bottom of the tank as opposed to my other stem plants. 
- Broad leafed water sprite also sometimes does well.

There's another one I got off Toss that gets really tall - I forget the name right now, but it's more like a sword with tougher leaves.  I'll see if I can find it.  It may be an option for under the filter flow.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

jrs

Hygrophila corymbosa 'siamensis'

Darth

Petsmart emerald plaza has some HUGE African Swords, they are selling for under $3 I believe they are about 16" tall and really nice looking

presto

Cabomba caroliniana
Micranthemum umbrosum
Hygrophila difformis

They all grow very tall in my tank. The last one especially, it is very wide though, the top 2 are more straight and thin.

BigDaddy

Jeff1192

For some reason my swords don't grow that big. I got 2 really big ones when I planted the tank (about 24" tall). I don't know what variety they were. As the outer leaves became old and were trimmed away the new leaves grew in at about half the height. I'm not sure why. There was obviously a defficiency in something.

Jeff

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

BigDaddy

A root tab under most swords works wonders.

Jeff1192

Funny you mention that because I just tried that about 2 weeks ago. I figured it would be the next thing to try so I put one under my 2 swords that used to be about 24" high and are now about 12-16". We'll see how it works out.

Thanks for the info.

Jeff

- George Orwell