New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New fry

Started by fyrebull, January 03, 2009, 01:24:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fyrebull

My African Kenyi had her first brood of fry, the problem is that they all seem very "lazy" they are all floating at the top of the trap and only swim if "prodded" then return to the top and look dead, anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Nerine

did the mother release the fry on her own? they may not be free-swimming yet...

what is your water quality? any other fish acting off? temperature?

55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

fyrebull

Quote from: Nerine on January 03, 2009, 04:57:08 PM
did the mother release the fry on her own? they may not be free-swimming yet...

what is your water quality? any other fish acting off? temperature?

Yes she released them on her own, water and temp is good and the other fish are acting normal, the others that I have had were very active as fry, maybe I am just being over cautious, thanks for the reply. I will let you know how it works out.

fyrebull

Quote from: fyrebull on January 03, 2009, 05:02:41 PM
Yes she released them on her own, water and temp is good and the other fish are acting normal, the others that I have had were very active as fry, maybe I am just being over cautious, thanks for the reply. I will let you know how it works out.

Thanks Nerine, good call on the "non free swimming" they are all moving about happly...I only wish I had not fed the two I thought were dead to the tank monsters... :-[

Nerine

Glad to hear they are moving about now!! Maybe she released them a bit early due to stress or something else and they just weren't ready yet! 

I haven't had fry in ages and miss watching the little guys swim about!! and I really miss my cichlids!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts