New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Replacing scratch glass on a aquarium

Started by AttiTude, March 12, 2010, 03:12:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AttiTude

Just wondering if it's worth it or i should just get something else.
Glass is about 1/4" thick,24"x21",it's the front pane,37gal tank.Tried buffing it without much luck.
What is a ballpark price for such a job?

Thanks in advance.

Funkmotor

You can't remove a scratch from glass without thinning it out - and weakening it in the process.  Not to mention that it's very time consuming and difficult to get right.  If you were fixing something valuable, then sure, but for a tank I'd just get another tank and either use that one as a QT or sell it to someone who needs their own QT or a sump tank.

ordi260

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

HomerJ

Can't you just flip the tank 180 degrees?  :-b

I'm with the others... unless your tank is highly customized (painted, drilled, etc), I'm not sure it's worth the trouble.

Nerine

flip it ;)

or if it's on the outside...there is that glasses thing...maybe it would work on your tank? it's some sort of liquid you spread over the scratch...
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

Soeman

If you were talking a very expensive or specialized tank it might be worth repairing, but if it's not anything special I'm with the others: replace or turn it 180 degrees.

AttiTude

Well i'm selling it and on the market for a 50gal 36" long...
Sad cuz it wasa nice tank,almost cube like and it was drilled for 2 returns/1 drain/back painted black.
The 50G will be nicer...haha

Thanks all for the help/suggestions.