New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Ottawa might get clipped by Irene

Started by bt, August 26, 2011, 11:13:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bt

While the main path has shifted west enough that Ottawa is no longer at risk of a direct hit, the wind field is very large.  We are within the current projected "damage possible" path for wind, and not too far outside of the projected "flooding possible" path.  We aren't talking "board up the windows" risk here, but possibly along the lines of the storms we saw in July.

Overall, we are in the "low risk of damage" range of the projected possible paths.  Fortunately, we'll be able to narrow down that risk with plenty of time to plan for it.  We'll have a much better idea when it makes landfall late today or early tomorrow, and we wouldn't get hit until late Sunday or early Monday.

fischkopp

be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Fishnut

Yikes!  Perhaps it wouldn't hurt checking the emergency food and water stash, battery supply, and other emergency supplies though.

My poor koi would be so screwed if we lost power for more than a few hours!  They're so dirty! Everyone else would be fine though.  I've got to get myself a generator one of these days.  Is it just me or is our weather getting more and more extreme?

gerryo

Got a generater during the last outage.  Out for about 36 hours here, so had to do something.

Best part is that Hydro knew the power was out, they new where the problem was, and it took all of 5 minutes to lift the branch off the power line when they FINALLY got around to it.

Guess we voted in the wrong candidate last election.

bt

The problem with that graphic is it doesn't show the spread nor the breadth, just the "down the middle" projected path of the eye.  More recent forecasts put us within the potential fringe if it holds to the western edge of the projection.

bt

Projected path has narrowed slightly, putting Ottawa well out of the way.  If it holds to the western edge of the range, we might be looking at some wind and rain from it though, up to the equivalent of a mid or strong summer storm.  We're likely out of the possible damage zone though.

smalltownfan

Something is going to happen. The pets are restless and pacing from one end of the house to the other.
FW Nano's 5g & 15g
Inverts & Micro fish

bt

Yeah, looks like we're going to get the edge of it.  Likely only a little rain and wind - not much even for a regular storm, never mind compared to those right in this monster's path.  Wonder how some reef keepers in Lower Manhattan managed to deal with the evac and power shutdown.

Check out the 3 hour radar for the area:  http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=xft

(might need to manually select 3 hour under the "Customize Your Map" button)

Darth

dan2x38

WOW that is sad dude they are lucky no one was hurt.  :(
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Greatwhite

I left Syracuse yesterday morning around 11am to heavy rain and wind.  That rain & wind carried on until just past the Kemptville area, and then the rain teetered out into a sprinkle and was gone by Barrhaven.  But the wind was still pretty strong the rest of the way home.

That one one big storm! :)

Going over the 1000 Islands bridge(s), there were high wind advisories.  I'm just happy there were no big trucks or inexperienced people pulling trailers going either way.

magnosis

Quote from: Greatwhite on August 29, 2011, 11:11:06 AM
Going over the 1000 Islands bridge(s), there were high wind advisories.  I'm just happy there were no big trucks or inexperienced people pulling trailers going either way.

God am I happy I crossed over on Friday.  I had to stop on the bridge because of construction - I don't have a phobia for bridges but I just *hate* having to stop over water...  This + high winds would have driven me crazy !

Glad to hear your trip wasn't interrupted. One guy got very unlucky has the road collapsed under his car near Sorel...

Greatwhite

Quote from: magnosis on August 29, 2011, 03:41:38 PM
God am I happy I crossed over on Friday.  I had to stop on the bridge because of construction - I don't have a phobia for bridges but I just *hate* having to stop over water...  This + high winds would have driven me crazy !

Friday was perfect... No wait to get through customs at all!  Actually, there was only a short wait on the way home.  I picked the shortest line, because there were 2 trucks pulling boats - which made the line LOOK long, but was only 2 cars.  Unfortunately, the guy in front of me decided to tell his life story before being sent over to the "inspection station".

Big bridges creep me out, too... I'm glad I didn't have to stop up there for any construction on Friday afternoon when I crossed!!!

Hookup

I want to ride to lake placid on my motorcycle, but cannot face up to the bridge crossing...  Fear of falling, not heights, plus riding across that metal road/cheese grater has me about paralyzed...  Ad some killer wind and it's a 911 for sure...  ::) ::) ::)