New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Recharge central air

Started by new_hobby, July 06, 2012, 02:15:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

new_hobby

Hi,

My central air is about 10 years old, and I think I need to recharge (??) because it take a while for it to cool down when I turn it down from 26 to 24 when I get home, do you have any idea who is the best to do it and roughly how much it cost? My AC is a 2 tonnage unit. Thanks.

Greatwhite

Sorry, I meant to reply to this sooner, but got side tracked...  I'm not sure that a recharge is needed for your AC.  When it's crazy hot out, it's bound to take a little while to drop a couple degrees anywhere.

Have you ever had your AC serviced?  Have you ever cleaned it?  Something that my dad has told me (he's an old AC tech) repeatedly is that EVERY SPRING, you should flip the breaker to the AC off.  Open the side and top panels that can be opened, and hose it out.  Clean off the evaporator coils, clean out any dirt and "animal waste" that may be accumulated in there.  Mice LOVE to make nests in these things for the winter, especially if you cover it.

Cleaning the unit will keep it running efficiently, cool down faster, and extend the life of it.  I'd do that before paying someone to come and tell you the same.  Just be sure to cut the power to it first, or you're in for a surprise. :)

new_hobby

Hi,

Thanks for your advise. I heard that sooner or later all AC needs to be recharged (similar to a car's AC) because there is always a small leak over time. I have never had my AC service in the last 10 years because I think I don't use it often during the summer so keep on deferring it. For the cleaning, every spring, after I remove the cover, I just use the water hose to spray around and the top of the unit outside (and sometimes during the summer when I saw a little bit of dirt on the side). I don't know what is the evaporator coils is? What about the one (?) they put inside the house (I saw they cut a hole in the furnace duct and put some kind of "coil" in there and close it when they install my AC). 

brotherluv

Personally I'd have someone come and service it and check for leaks...that'd cost approx $65-$100...at least then they can check to see if you've lost too much gas.  If so they'll replace it but for the gas you need (since  it's obsolete) its more expensive than newer units gas.  Also once its been refilled once, a technician isnt allowed to refill again...make sure you get a good technician that you trust!  Good luck.

Greatwhite

I always get mixed up between evaporators and condensers... Outside is the compressor and condenser coils.  Inside is the evaporator coil...   If you are hosing the condenser coil out annually, it's probably OK there.  You don't do anything to the evaporator coil... It generally stays clean because it's inside the furnace on the clean side of the filter.  Water drips off that, and out a drain line.

If you feel that it is definitely not working up to par, call an AC tech to come and service it and test for leaks like Brotherluv suggested.  If there's nothing wrong with it, you get the peace of mind in knowing that it's good.  If there's something wrong, they can fix it up and/or charge it.

I wouldn't necessarily say that "all" AC units have slow leaks...  But some surely MIGHT have a slow leak.