New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

overfed fish by what I think is alot

Started by dnas17, November 12, 2012, 08:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dnas17

So today I went to feed my fish and I broke out the cubes of brine shrimp, as I go to put it in the tank almost the entire thing dissolved pretty much and broke off into two separate pieces. i tried my best to remove them from the tank and I did get a few large chunks out but other than that not much luck. Now there is a bunch of little white dots floating around in my tank. I did about a 25 gallon water change (its a 75g tank) and i got my bh1000 skimmer running on it however I fear for my fishes life. What should I do in this situation?!? The worst part about it it seems like no one even ate the food.

Greatwhite

SOMETHING will eat whatever is floating around, and whatever is left will get skimmed out or "rot".  Your little critters on the live rock are probably partying right now.

It's a 75G tank -- it'll take a lot more than a big chunk of shrimp & juice to throw it off.

Are you feeding the brine shrimp that comes in one giant block?  I prefer the little cubes - to avoid situations like this. :)

dnas17

It is the little cubes theyre supposed to last like a week of feeding (not like the ones you drop in for a week but the whole cube is enough food for a week)

Greatwhite

oh -- weird.  Yeah, I don't feed that.  Aren't those typically for a once in a while, going away for a few days?

Regardless - it'll all get cleaned up.  Just don't feed again until it's all gone. :)

Cheebs

I wouldn't worry either... I've dropped way too much food in the tank several times over the years. If you've got a skimmer and did the water change, even better :)

dnas17

No no i know what you think it is, its not one of those vacation blocks its a cube you dip in the water to feed daily and after 7 days the whole cube will probably be gone. Anyway thanks for the advice all