New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Is German Ramirez a waist of time & money ?

Started by Guybeaux, February 14, 2020, 08:39:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guybeaux

I've read that most German blue Ramirez are imported from Asia. That they get injected and heavily treated with hormone so that they become more colourful for the retail trade.
I've bought two in Ottawa a couple months ago. The first one died within a week and the second one just died this past week. I like the fish but they are fairly expensive and if they only live a couple weeks maybe I should pass on them. Any thoughts or advise ?

kevino

Calico3

I have had some success with mine . Bought 2 around Christmas and lost one due to water problems.  Actually never having them before I was removing one 1/2  5 gallon bucket  nightly to try to keep my nitrates down. Also doing this in a QT tank with smaller amount of water. Big mistake as with the soft water addition my KH dropped and lost my beneficial bacteria. Lost most fish in QT ( not rams ) and my nice female ram in the big tank.

I needed to make major adjustments . Done and my tanks are back on track. I really like the Ram's and bought 2 more to go into another community tank and they are so far doing well in QT . I had my main pair lay eggs. This morning I have wigglers so I will see how raising them go ..   I know they are more difficult  fish to keep as water conditions have to be spot on.  They need a warmer tank  to breed successfully and the big tank is kept at 80.   The wigglers at 78 and hopefully will grow okay.   I know that they do not have a long lifespan .  So I don't know how long I will have mine but they can do okay.  I am enjoying mine.

Guybeaux

I keep my water temperature between 28c & 29c in my four tank. My main tank have discus in it and any new fish kind of transit between ma Quarantine tank and sometime from my mid size tank as well. My param are good and I do partial water change every 5 to 6 day
After doing a bit of research I found that my fish most likely  died from Dropsy disease.
I also lost weeks later another fish (harlekin Rasbora) to the same disease
That last one I've tried the Epson Salt bath solution but it was to late.

Calico ! Look like you will might have little Rams for sale at the next spring auction 😀