New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Best way to bump my PH

Started by cory, October 23, 2006, 10:31:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cory

i dont like to use chemicals with my fish and i would like to bring my ph from 7.6 up to around 8.0+ let me know the best (safest) way. I have crushed coral in the sub already. I do 50% water changes every week. Im not on well water either...which is probably why its 7.6 lol. :D

darkdep

In order to raise pH, you need to add something "alkaline" to the water (in the same way that in order to lower pH, you need to add something "Acidic" to the water.

Crushed Coral is better for maintaining alkalinity (which is not the same thing).  Alkalinity is referring to gH/kH of the water, and "alkaline" refers to pH.

For an African tank, add Baking Soda.  There is nothing easier.  1 Tablespoon per 5 gallons of water will bring you up to about 8.2.  8.2 is as much as you can do with Baking soda, but that's a perfect pH. 

Add it with water changes so as to not shock your fish with a sudden pH change.

bitterman

Just come a steal some of my 9+ ph well water  ;)

cory

hahha...if life were so easy Bruce. lol. How are u fish Bruce? I still gotta come see them.

bitterman

They are doing fine. The growth has slowed down largest is still about 3.5-4" but they are getting deeper. One of the Yellow labs I get a month ago is holding and my Male Bn is protecting eggs. Still happy and not much aggression (Yellow labs are the most aggressive in my tank).

Bruce

cory

good to hear..I have fry every month for both females (yellow lab) They get along well in my tank. The jewel and the masked Juli are the big aggressors in my tank. Thinking about parkting with them. I dont want anything to happen to my Fronts.

BigDaddy

Hey Bruce, that flowering anubias is good for AHAP points... had to point that out even if it was a mini-thread jack