New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Hungry Frontosa....

Started by gmann, February 10, 2007, 12:32:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gmann

Around 11pm last night I was feeding the 135g and noticed that my front was not out. This is NOT normal.. He/she is always out as soon as the glass top is moved. As you may be able to see the tail hanging from its mouth in the pic, frontosa decided to have snack.  I am trying to determine which poor fish ended up as dinner. Now I know where the missing ruby reds and sulphur head :'( ended up..  This front is about 7"+ and I would hate to sell him/her but probably have little choice. Hope the pics turn out. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

babblefish1960

Sorry to hear about your losses, but if a frontosa can look happy, this little one looks very happy with his latest meal.

In the world of fishes, fish essentially eat fish, and those that don't probably keep the fish eaters up ion their vegetables. ;)

gmann

well Babble this front is def.happy. I am not too upset or surprised to have lost some fish. Once I accounted for all 4 dolphins and 3 phenochilus and the steveni I was alright.  Its not everyday you come home and a fish has a tail hanging out of its mouth. I did find it amusing after. I watched him for about 30 minutes and finally the tail was gone.     

darkdep

That's sad, amusing, and interesting all at the same time.  At least he's eating well.

Did you figure out what he had eaten?  Yesterday I found a fairly complete fish skeleton in one of my 75's, but after doing a very thorough inventory I literally cannot figure out what it is...all my fish seem to be there :)

bitterman

Yeah this is what fronts do.  Very nice front by the way!

Sorry for your loss.

Bruce

pegasus

Quote from: DarkDep on February 10, 2007, 01:13:50 PM
.............'Yesterday I found a fairly complete fish skeleton in one of my 75's, but after doing a very thorough inventory I literally cannot figure out what it is...all my fish seem to be there :)
;D Yah they are all there Chris! counting the skeleton

Gerry, dry your tears, come over, bring 2 Tim Horton coffee and a pail. There is a 6" crabro that would like to play with your frontosa. I'll trade it..... I take my coffee ... black. ;)

All joke aside, I would also have cried if I would have lost a ruby red.

gmann

Thanks Pegasus but I dont think the two male red fins[/b] would appreciate the Crabro :). This was a good lesson for me though. I have not been keeping track of all the fish in this tank. missing are 2 ruby reds, happy to see one male left, 1 f chwindi and 2 yellow labs. Its weird because prior to putting these fish in the tank I specifically told them to stay away from the front. Juvies, they never listen!