New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Equipment and methods for hatching Baby Brine Shrimp - BBS

Started by frankiewanky, October 11, 2007, 10:24:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

frankiewanky

Hi:

Just preparing for the future .....
I wanted to buy equipment or construct something that could help hatch BBS. I would appreciate any leads or tips on locating or building one.

Where do you buy Brine Shrimp eggs ???

Thanks
Frank
Lots of tanks - lots of fish

SuperT

all you need is two 2l plastic bottles, some airline hose, air pump and a dab of silicone.  you can get/order the eggs online, locally or lfs.

Terry

here is a pic of mine.

[attachment deleted by admin]

fischkopp

Yeap, its quite simple:

I use 1L juice bottles from the dollar store. I didnt set it up fence, means not upside down, and just stick one end of the air tubing thru the opening down to the bottom. Add 2 tsp sea salt / 1 L water and the amount of BBS you want to hatch. If you keep it above 20°C they will be ready in 24h, use them up latest 36h after starting. Usully I rotate two bottles every second day.

You will find a lot of methods in the web, how the set up hatcheries and how the get rid of the egg shells. Well, I didnt bother so far and like my simple bottles. I just wait a couple of minutes unit the egg shell set on the surface, then I can suck up the shrimps from the bottom of the bottle with an air tube. Only thing you need it a very very fine net. A quick rinse under lukewarm water and: voila, the meal is set :)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

bettabreeder

you can also go to any petsmart and pick up a san francisco bay shrimp hatchery it makes thing a lot easier. they are around 12 dollars and come with easy hatch mix