New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Cleaning aquarium sand? DOH! :-|

Started by dan2x38, December 31, 2007, 08:09:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dan2x38

Well what a stupid post this will be... :-[ I bought a 15g aquarium with parts & pieces plus some Tahitian Moon Sand more than 25 lbs for a great price. It was wet in a bag when I bought it. Well I laid it out in the tank then every few days turned it over to dry. It did dry. Well one of our cats discovered it as a litter box but he only pee'd in it...  >:( DOH!

OK here is the question, how can I rinse this stuff? Is it ruined?  ??? Geeze like to kick that cat's butt...  >:(
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

RossW

Could you not soak it in a 10:1 bleach solution and rinse it very well?

NetCop

Well that sucks... just watch out for those ammonia spikes  ;)

Adam

150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

Nerine

hahahaha

sorry LOL!!
I can't stop laughing!! Cats!! Any sand is their sand!!!

I used a small bit of bleach...I had some very fine gravel and my cats used it as their litter box and I just took it to the utility sink, put in a mesh over the drain so I wouldn't loose the gravel and bleached and rinsed really well!!! (the gravel is still sitting in a bucket though, this time with a lid! LOL)

Good luck :D
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

dan2x38

Well it took 2 hours to clean that damn sand...  >:( I took a few lbs. in a bucket cleaned it by rinsing with water over & over again until the entire 25lbs was cleaned. Then spent another 45 mins. cleaning out the tank. That dang cat...  :D
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."