New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Multiple tank syndrome strikes again!

Started by rnish, January 05, 2008, 11:40:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rnish

Hi all!
i have been reading and enjoying this site for the past few months.  Im not very computer savvy so I finally sent my first pm yesterday lol.  I also posted a question on the cichlid forum.  I started with one goldfish tank for the kids about 3 years ago.  It was a painful beginning with lots of losses  5/6 fish the first night!.  I got a tropical tank for myself very quickly once the goldfish fiasco was stabilized.  I now have 8 tanks  and am getting a new used one soon. I promised myself that I would sell one of my smaller tanks when it comes but I'm having a hard time parting with it. I started with cichlids in the past 6 months and love them.  I live in Deep River so it is a long hike to Ottawa. I've been unfortunately cursed with exposure multiple different illnesses over the few years. i have gained a name as the "fish lady" in my rural area as I frequently rescue poorly cared for tanks and help treat sick fish.  I even babysit when owners are away.  The internet is a wonderful resource for fishpeople.  My extended family doesn't quite understand  and worry about how my house floor can support all the weight.  I presume I'm safe there...  Can someone give me some info about the "auctions". 

garnpet

Welcome to OVAS!

Regarding the auctions...  OVAS holds mini-auctions at each monthly meeting (except February) and we also have a giant auction in March of each year - March 2nd this year.  Last year we had over 1000 items in the March giant auction.  For the mini-auctions we are averaging around 100 items each month.

If you have any items to sell, package your items carefully and bring them to the meeting.  There is a table at the front of the room where the auction items are placed.  See me (the guy with the computer) to register your items and get your preprinted item labels.  The auction starts around 8:30 and the bidding starts at $1 for most items and increases in $1 increments.  The high bidder takes the item home and you have to pay for your purchase in cash as soon as the item has been sold.

For people selling items, OVAS charges a 10% fee for the mini-auction items.  Payment to sellers occurs after the auction has been completed.

I usually post the complete set of rules a week before each mini-auction.  I also strong suggest that you preregister any items you are selling, details on how to do this will be in the post.

If you have any other questions please PM me.

Peter

1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

dan2x38

Great story and honourable thing you do in rescueing sick fish & crashing tanks. My neighbors call me the fish guy... LOL Ppl have come to the house got the wrong place the neighbors tell them, "OH you mean the fish guy"...  8)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Vizerdrix

Welcome!  MTS is an incurable disease. ;)  Believe me, I tried!  I used to have about a dozen tanks about 15 years ago, but had to sell them all...  I stuck with a 65g for several years when I got remarried, and was happy with that, until I decided to resurrect my little 5g for a Betta.  That was a bad decision on my part! :)  I now have a 175g POND in the house, as well as a few more smaller tanks. :) 

Glad to hear you're doing so much good for the fishy members of your community! :D

rnish

Tanks guys! for the warm welcome lol.  Are fish accepted at auction?

garnpet

Fish (properly bagged) are always welcome at the auction.
1 fish, 2 fish, <°{{{><  , <°{{{><  

married2OVASmember

Quote from: rnish on January 05, 2008, 11:40:01 AMI now have 8 tanks  and am getting a new used one soon.
Good heavens!  I hope your house is big enough. 
I thought I had it bad climbing around half of a dozen tanks just to make breakfast and tripping over tangles of grow-up gear just to go to the washroom! 

At least we have a decent sized backyard just in case the kids and I have to join the dog outside just to get some more leg-room.  It seems like every other month my wife brings home a multi-gallon tank that just happens to be even bigger than the last one while one more piece of furniture "that we really did not need anyway" gets chucked out to the curb! 

rnish

Its gotten even worse!   I managed to sell one 20 gallon.  I bought another 77 gallon and 2 more 30 gallon tanks.  :D :o ;D  I guess I'm crazy now I have 9 larger tanks up and running and 2 "spare".  My house isn't large only a 1200 sq ft bungalow.   The problem is we (5 of us and a cat) like to live with our fish so they are all on the main floor except one in my daugters basement bedroom.  The two 77 gal tanks are the same and we plan to make an eight foot fish tank wall between the livingroom and front hall entrance.  Unfortunately that means we have to tear up my daughter's ceiling to reinforce the floor as the joists run parallel to the tanks. ::)
1400 lbs is a lot of weight though I didn't give it a second thought when I put up the first 77 gal   ;D  The joys of owning a house!
Tks again for the welcome. 
Jade

irene

Quote from: married2OVASmember on January 17, 2008, 11:38:07 PM
  It seems like every other month my wife brings home a multi-gallon tank that just happens to be even bigger than the last one while one more piece of furniture "that we really did not need anyway" gets chucked out to the curb! 

LOL, I put our couch on the curb to make room for the 125g and removed the bed from the spare bedroom.  There is now only one bedroom (for our family of 4), the other is full of fish. :D

I promised I'd get rid of some tanks. :(  but I'm having a hard time actually doing it, one empty and a light has been sold but everytime I go through my stuff it's like well, maybe I should keep x item(s), just in case...and I haven't been able to bring myself to offer much of the livestock for sale...I'm working up to it....

Irene

rnish

Thanks for the gravel  :) It looks great in my 77 gal it really brings out the reds in my community fish...how are the plecos and puffers doing?
Jade

Dr. Ashtray

This thread just reminded me of how out of control my Aquarium Habit is!  I still have to add the vintage 50 gallon metaframe(thanks a lot Fishnut's Dad!!!) tank I am resealing currently and another CPD spawning tank.  I literally have to get someone to stay at my house when I leave to take care of the fish.  I love every minute I spend with my aquatic inhabitants and do not know if I have an off switch as to how many tanks I can possibly have up and running.  In any event, I appreciate finding the abbreviation of my disorder...MTS...I wonder what my Malaysian Trumpet Snails thing about the hijacking of their abbreviation.  We'll never know!

Jeffrey...

rnish

;)  I 'm glad to know there are others so aflicted!  I guess I'm not any stranger than a dog owner!lol
Jade