New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

just noticed babies - what to do?

Started by new2ovas, November 16, 2008, 10:54:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

new2ovas

I have a 90 gal tank with 18 or so cichlids.  Not sure all of them exactly but there are some yellow labs, demosonis, mpungas, mbunas, aceii, blue zebras and a few others.

I just noticed this AM that I have a few babies swimming around under some of the rocks (I only spotted 2 so far), I am not sure what they are and didn't notice anyone carrying them before.

I am wondering what I should do?  There is a lot of rockwork in my tank, so catching them will take a lot of work.
as well I wanted to vacume my tank this weekend but I am now nerveous I will suck up a baby.

not sure either about feeding and so on.  any suggestions would be appreciated.  as well for next time, how obvious is it that a mother is carrying, so that maybe I can get lucky and seperate her before she lets the little ones out.

cheers & TKS again

Ormarr

If you are serious about raising them, you will need to remove them from the tank (do you have a small fry/quarantine tank?).  If they stay in the 90g, chances are they will eventually get eaten.

angelfish

130 gallon, mixed cichlids: Most of mine get eaten, but some do survive amongst the rocks. I have lava rock against the ends of the tank so large fish can't squeeze past. I always try to ensure some food drops into areas for the babies. I suspect they might get sucked into the filters as well unless one put foam over them. I am letting nature take it's course because I can't begin to keep up with the babies these cichlids produce  :D

Rob Labonte

I have a 120 g and am constantly removing all my rocks to get the babies out. usually i try to get the holding female out b4 but i have some that dont show when they are holding.

they will get eaten if they stay in your main tank. get a second small tank.

beowulf

Quote from: angelfish on November 16, 2008, 10:09:12 PM
130 gallon, mixed cichlids: Most of mine get eaten, but some do survive amongst the rocks. I have lava rock against the ends of the tank so large fish can't squeeze past. I always try to ensure some food drops into areas for the babies. I suspect they might get sucked into the filters as well unless one put foam over them. I am letting nature take it's course because I can't begin to keep up with the babies these cichlids produce  :D

I do the same thing and the bloody buggers still survive.  I currently have about a dozen fry in the tank that dart out from the rock work to grab food etc.  The one I have are anywhere from 1/4cm to and 1.5 cm.