New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

identification help plz

Started by ordi260, January 18, 2010, 04:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ordi260

Can you guys help me to identify those 2 guys...the orange one and also the black / blu one!

Here are the pics, excuse me...the focus is off lol

http://www.alex-cg.com/DSC_0755.JPG
http://www.alex-cg.com/DSC_0762.JPG

Thanks

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

Demasonian

Hmmm. Pretty hard to say. Unfortunately there are a large number of orange and blue-black mbuna out there. Could you take a profile picture a little more in focus?

I can tell you that the blue-black isprobably not a Ps. Demasoni, looks like too many stripes...nor an elongatus (too few). Possibly could be a Metriaclima Dolphin: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/species.php?id=2605

The best resource to ID africans might be here: http://www.cichlid-forum.com/profiles/index.php

limmer

Does the red one have red eyes?
Is the body shape similar to your other africans?
If not it could be a Metriaclima estherae.
Or it could be a Peacock by the colouring if it has the body shape.
Not sure of the other one.
Where did you get them?

taim_30

I hate to say it, but the red one is a hybrid of some sort.  Red Zebra are a uniform color and this one seems speckled.

As for the blue one, it looks like either a Demasoni (but they usually have 5-6 stripes) or it could be a saulosi. 

Both of the pics are blurred so it's hard to be sure.
125 gallon: Labidochromis Caeruleus, Metriaclima Estherae (Blue x Red), Labeotropheus Trewavasae Chilumba,  Pseudotropheus Acei Itungi, Pseudotropheus Elongatus Mpanga, Melanochromis Perileucos,  Pseudotropheus Perspicax

75 gallon: Pseudotropheus Kingsizei, Metriaclima Estherae, Pseudotropheus Elongatus Mpanga,  Pseudotropheus Flavus, Melanochromis Vermivorus, Petrotilapia Chitimba, Pseudotropheus Polit

Currently breeding: Pseudotropheus Kingsizei,  Pseudotropheus Flavus, Metriaclima Estherae, Labidochromis Caeruleus, Labeotropheus Trewavase Chilumba, Melanochromis Perileucos

ajm1961

SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

ordi260

Seems like your idea of ps saulosi might be juste right because those 2 guys (black / blue and orange) were purchased at the same time, from the same tank and they are both very quiet in my tank, where some other more agressive guys are alway hiding from each other...the 2 unidentified stay pretty much all the time together, in their corner of the tank.

Thanks for your help!

[li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
[/list]

ordi260

How many stripes does a male salosi usually have?

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

Demasonian

To my knowledge, Saulosi males have 6 stripes...but I've never kept them myself so this is only anecdotal...

ajm1961

Based on the various photos posted on Cichlid-Forum, the males vary in stripes from 4 to 6. However, they also mention that the saulosi is considered a dwarf mbuna, reaching a size of 4 inches at the most. I don't know if this helps.
If the two are keeping close company, they may be male and female though...
Anyone else with Saulosi expertise?
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

J

Did you pick these guys up recently from petsmart? I used to work there and we always had a tank of "assorted cichlid" that were hybrids or otherwise unidentifiable.

ordi260

Quote from: J on January 20, 2010, 02:42:09 PM
Did you pick these guys up recently from petsmart? I used to work there and we always had a tank of "assorted cichlid" that were hybrids or otherwise unidentifiable.

No they were purchased at a pet store in gatineau

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

Rob Labonte

hey, i live in gatineau.

where are there pet stores/fish stores?

ciaus

La Niche is over there...OVAS sponsor.