New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Name that tool please

Started by ordi260, December 01, 2010, 01:24:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ordi260

hi!

I forgot the name of that thing...and I can't get it out of my mind lol  :D

What is it?

[li]
33 gallons - FW Community tank [/li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
30 gallons terrarium - Crested gecko[/li]
[/list]

JetJumper

.: JetJumper's Zone :.

ordi260

yeah!  thanks!  and now in french?

[li]
[li]20 gallons - Nano Reef tank (Two Onyx Clowns, 1 peacock flasher wrasse, 1 pearly jawfish, 1 black sailfin blenny, many LPS and few SPS[/li][/list]
    [li]
[/list]

Stussi613

I haz reef tanks.

ordi260

Quote from: Stussi613 on December 01, 2010, 01:43:47 PM
Caliper Vernier, la!

i lol'd   ;D and found it lol its a "pied a coulisse"

thanks guys

[li]
    [li]
[/list]

Bob P

JD

I like my version better!

Very Near...

Dorrie

Quote from: ordi260 on December 01, 2010, 01:45:30 PM
its a "pied a coulisse"

If you want it to be throughly in French, it's spelled « pied à coulisse », with the little hat on the "a" ;)
(Btw, the « » are French quotations marks, for extra authenticity)

You can check out any further linguistic transfer questions here: http://termium.gc.ca (or http://termium.gc.ca/tpv2alpha/alpha-eng.html?lang=eng to get strait to the database). Just make sure you pick out the right domain, as the equivalents can differ a lot!

Stussi613

Quote from: Dorrie on December 01, 2010, 10:47:40 PM
If you want it to be throughly in French, it's spelled « pied à coulisse », with the little hat on the "a" ;)

Not to split hairs, but if you want to be truly in French that's an accent grave :D
I haz reef tanks.

Dorrie

Indeed! ;D
Which translates into English as a grave accent (for real :o ), but nobody knows that, and my preschool teacher always called all accents "hats" and it stuck with my throughout my linguistic studies lol

Never thought we'd be discussing diacritical marks on a fish forum lol

Umlaut anyone?