New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Mosquito Larve

Started by Fishnut, June 12, 2011, 02:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishnut

I found a bucket full of water that had some dead leaves in it as well as some rotting twigs...and hundreds of thousands of mosqito larve!

I scooped out as many as I could, put them in a bucket of tank water for a bit of a rinse and fed them to my fish.  OMG...they are soooo fun to watch hunting for live food!  My gymno geophagus went NUTS and their colours suddenly popped in vividness!  The rainbows were swooping and going crazy for the mosquito larve, making the whole tank alive with energy!!  The cory catfish unfortunately didn't get to share in the excitement and niether did the plcos, but they knew soomething was going on...they kept looking frantically for whatever food they could find :).  The gouramis, who are usually very slow moving in my tank all of a sudden became super active too!  It was fun for all :)

I re-filled the bucket with some new water, twigs and leaf litter...hopefully I'll be doing this more often!

Nerine

just don't let them hatch or I'm coming after you ;) hahaha

glad they enjoyed the snack!!
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

irene

I've done this.  My fish didn't get all of them and a few days later our house was filled with mosquitoes!  Never again.... :P

Irene

Fishnut

Oh no!!  I'm pretty sure my fish got them all :)  The gouramis spent quite a bit of time hunting in the duckweed at the surface and the rest of the fish didn't stop looking for more for about 30 minutes.  I sure hope they got them all anyways!!

lepageg