New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Jack Layton has died

Started by NanoSF, August 22, 2011, 08:53:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NanoSF

It's is very sad to hear this morning that Jack Layton has died. Just when his popularity was way up, and his party was making great strides, his life comes to an end.

Greatwhite

:(  I didn't think that was going to be far off after he stepped down.

Cheebs

Regardless of your political orientation, this is definitely extremely sad news. He was clearly a great man and fought hard.  I am happy that he was able to see his political career really bloom before he passed away, but he was taken too young. May he rest in peace :(

washefuzzy

That so sad. I didn't realize how sick he was.

Yams

Tragic to see him gain Official Opposition Status than pass away so shortly after.

Also did not realize he was that sick... sad

magnosis

He was a man to be respected, whatever your political views.  A man a great integrity and passion.  I for one wish we had more people like him willing to take the lead in this country.

[edit] Thanks, Nano ;)

bt

He's being given a state funeral - a first for the leader of the opposition (excluding those who had also been PM).

Hookup

IMO he cared more for Canada than many others.  While I didn't understand all of his views, I certainly had respect for the man.  I do wish he had seen NDP gain power.