New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Water under tank - leak?

Started by Medym, November 24, 2012, 11:16:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Medym

Well, a little over a week ago, I got my new 30 gallon set up.  Over the course of the week I have gotten everything just how I wanted it.  Rocks are aquascaped where I want them, the overflow and return are setup just right, micro bubbles eliminated and the tank is just exiting its cycle and cleanup crew has been added.

This morning I discovered a small amount of water between the black trim of the aquarium and the stand.  I very small amount, but certainly water.  So from an unknown source there is water collecting under my tank and gradually moving to the back/bottom left hand side of the tank and stand.  The amount of water is minimal at worst.  Over the course of the week I have not experienced any abnormal water loss. The water loss that has occurred, seems to be only evaporation.

What I am unsure of is whether I have a small pin hole leak or this is condensation which is collecting between the bottom of the tank and the stand.

It could be either one of these as I have noticed the bottom sump area has been fairly warm (heater location) and humid.  There is no fan to help move away the humidity underneath. But, pin hole leaks do occur.

So, how can I figure out what it possibly is?  The water loss is again minimal so I would rather take my time to figure out what it is before I start tearing everything apart.

The pictures are a little large, so here are the links to them:

Full tank shot with sump:
http://i.imgur.com/3Kfy1.jpg

The culpret area (note, there does not seem to be any salt creep, but I also didn't lick it):
http://i.imgur.com/M2Po8.jpg

Thanks for any help you guys can give

(ps, yes that is a big ole piece of GSP in there.  It grew from less than a frag plug over overtake my 4 gallon pico.... it needed to be moved desperately as it was on the verge of overtaking the tank.)

Darth

honesty I would lick it LOL if its condensation that would be the best test IMO

Medym

Quote from: Darth on November 24, 2012, 11:24:32 AM
honesty I would lick it LOL if its condensation that would be the best test IMO

If only my daughter was old enough to do this for me...

edit- dammit it is salty.  Now I have a horrid taste of salt water in my mouth and I know I have a small water leak :/

So what are my options.... completely tear down and assess?

76brian

Is that a Marineland tank? Was it a new tank?

Darth

and its not from small splashiong or running down an overflow pipe? I would give it a day and see if it gets bigger, I know you really dont want to wait till it explodes LOL but to tear it down is a pita as well good luck either way

delslo

I have heard of some silicon that can be applied underwater and it still holds

Dakotamay

You said you just finished aquascaping and what not in the tank. Is it a possibility that this water collected in the rim from dripping off your arm and or running down the side of the tank? I've had that happen to me. I'd give it a few days to see if it dries up. Don't or be very careful not to have any water run down if you're working in the tank. It could just be that. Takes a few days to dry up.

Medym

I was actually very careful about not spilling, but this could have been something.  I have noticed no further water collection.  If it is a leak, it is unbelievable minor that it is not an emergency.  I however am expecting that it could have been condensation collecting on the bottom side of the aquarium as it evaporates from the sump and trickled down the side.  I have used some tape and saran wrap to close off as much as possible of the whole cut for the plumbing and hope to catch it there.

Thank you all for your feedback, I will keep you posted!