New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

"Antique" filters, can someone help?

Started by Rocktopus, August 01, 2006, 06:46:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocktopus

So I'm visiting my parents today and we dropped by some old friends of ours.  In conversation I brought up that I had a re-surgence in my old aquarism hobby.  Well our friend went into the basement and pulled out the two dustiest aquarium accessories I have EVER seen.

After giving them a quick wipe I concluded that the first is a very old Eheim filter rated at (get this) 4L/min.  I don't think I've ever seen one in L/min, just oz/hr.  In either case I've never used a canister filter and don't really know how to set it up efficiently.  SO if someone could give  me a quick overview of that, it would be great.

The second item peaked my interest though.  It appears to have the same motor setup as standard canisters, but it screws onto a 1 gal mason jar with a bag inside.  There are attachments for both air and water hoses it would seem, and there's a ripped sticker on the side (all I can make out is ?IOTOM? FILTER.  perhaps biotome?).  The guy that gave it to me says he used to fill it with crused coral, and only used it once a week.  I've never heard or seen anything like that used before.  Any Ideas?

babblefish1960

You lucky so and so, you have an old diatom filter that still looks like the one you have in your hand, as there was never any need to change it, if you are interested in divesting yourself of the antiques, you found the place.

Otherwise, you will need to get a hold of a few seals and diatomaceous earth, very dangerous, but only carcinogenic in california, so your safe here(bad joke). And some sound instruction in how to make it work, as they are not so easy to get started, they are not self priming, so don't try, you'll burn out the pump, and a nasty thing to get going at all untutored.

The mason jar is the correct housing so don't lose anything. They do not use air, they are for dealing with polishing water and disease.

The Eheim sounds like fun, give it a whirl or put them out there for those of us with eheim fixations, (don't let BD see this, he'll be all over it before anyone can say boo).

Rocktopus

Thanks, I had a feeling the Diotom would be an interesting item.

But as a result, I'm kinda keen on keeping the Diotom.  I just need someone to show me how to set it up.  I might be willing to move the eheim, but in either case, it wouldn't be for a while.  To be honest I've only ever used hang on power-filters and the idea of more power for when I upgrade the tanks is very appealing.

If anyone can help me with setting up the Diotom, it'd be much appreciated.

dannypd

Quote from: babblefish1960 on August 01, 2006, 07:05:21 PM
Otherwise, you will need to get a hold of a few seals and diatomaceous earth, very dangerous, but only carcinogenic in california, so your safe here(bad joke). And some sound instruction in how to make it work, as they are not so easy to get started, they are not self priming, so don't try, you'll burn out the pump, and a nasty thing to get going at all untutored.

I dont think they are that dangerous, based on their composition, should only be dangerous to insects...as they use this to DEWORM HUMANS and animals.

Also, you can put this in a pouch-type bag and stick it into any canister filter...

babblefish1960

Quote from: dannypd on August 02, 2006, 01:15:17 AM
I dont think they are that dangerous, based on their composition, should only be dangerous to insects...as they use this to DEWORM HUMANS and animals.

Also, you can put this in a pouch-type bag and stick it into any canister filter...

This is not the place to be flippant about what you clearly do not know, diatomaceous earth is not to be taken lightly, the dust is so fine and sharp that it can cause irreparable damage to the respiratory system, and advising otherwise is dangerously foolish.

The grade you blithely refer to is medical grade, not the pool and aquarium grade which we use in the hobby, a critical difference as far apart as can be.

{"Diatomite produced for pool filters, is treated with heat, causing the formerly amorphous silicon dioxide to assume its crystalline form...Crystilline silica poses a serious inhalation hazard because it can cause silicosis and can eventually lead to cancer."} taken from wikipedia.

You should always use a mask when using this material, as it is much coarser and sharper and can seriously damage the lungs.

Vortex themselves advise strongly against using this powder without breathing protection in every box of powder.