New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Executive matters -split from- order from armkes.com

Started by maitre007, August 17, 2004, 02:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maitre007

It was brought to my attention that in my attempt to spice up the discussion I may have gone to far in regards to the library.  

The point that I wanted to make was I do not believe that money spent on the library is well spent because we do not do a good job of tracking the circulation of the books.  Without bad faith, books are not returned.  

I could have been more tactful in asserting that point.  Well ...
I do believe that sometimes you have to shock people to have a good conversation going.  

In keeping in mind that everybody has the right to their opinions ... the assertion that all activities should be for the benefit of ALL members is quite utopic.  

You are going to have activities that interest some members of the communities and others that won`t.   ALL members of OVAS benefit when we attempt to organize as many acitivities as reasonably possible.

In regards to the priviledge that comes with being a member of the Executive ... well ... it does provide me with the opportunity to have my say in the decision process.   And I will vote according to what I believe in regardless if it's the majority or not.

None of the Executive membership nomination was contested at the election in may.  In attempt to recruit more individuals in the committee, we added more positions to which no one submitted their candidature.

If people want to get more input in the decision process then they should get more involved in organizing activities instead of throwing their two cents from the peannut galleries.

It is not my intention to trigger a political discussion however it is like the election.  People talked about a democratic deficit.  What did they do to remedy the situation?  Not vote.

I on the other hand volunteered A LOT of hours in getting my MP elected so that if I have a diatribe about something, I am more likely to have his ear.

Marc

Quote from: "maitre007"The point that I wanted to make was I do not believe that money spent on the library is well spent because we do not do a good job of tracking the circulation of the books.  Without bad faith, books are not returned.

I think the problem here is that we must do a better job of controlling the library.  When Arthur was doing it a number of years ago "losing" books was not an issue.  Since Arthur we have gone through a number of librarians who were well-intentionned but for various reasons were not around long enough to learn how to do the job.  Also, the transfer from one librarian to the other was not done properly either.  These are all things we will have to improve.

maitre007

I know that I have said more than my share on this issue­.   I do believe that the issue of paying the shipping for an unspecified shipping order was proposed by our departing president, Alain Decelles.  

Alain identified this a future project that we can further discussed at future meeting.   At that time there was a group of individuals that had lead a failed attempt to pool an order on the discussion board.  I had no interest in that order yet I still thought Alain had proposed an excellent idea.

Once the discussion began about ordering from armkes.com, the little hamster in my head woke up since the reason why humans are on the top of the darwin food chain is because of our ability to think in our self interest.

I have absolutely no inhibition about keeping discus.  Yet if a group of the members submitted a motion for ovas to cover the expense for receiving a shipment from Wattley's, I would partially support it.

Because as Marc pointed out the OVAS budget is not sufficiently big to cover a US$70 expense.  My personal interpretation of OVAS finance however concluded that 30-40 dollars is reasonable.

I sincerely believes that in it is in the best interest of OVAS members that the minority of the members who keep discuss breeds Wattley's f2.

Marc

I think it's time to end this particular discussion.  This topic is now locked.