New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

stand not level......

Started by Black Hair Algae, October 12, 2006, 11:53:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Black Hair Algae

So, buy the tank and stand, place in basement, check that it is level, turns out almost, maybe 2 or 3 mm diff. between back and front of tank. Think this is not big deal, do aquascape (3 hours or so)......fill thank......then.......once its filled to top it seems to look funny.........I stare at it some more, call my loving (and patient) better half and she confirms it.........stand/floor not level........measurements showed a 1cm diff between front and back......and another 1 cm diff between left and right side........basically, thank is leaning forward and dipping left..........I start to panic slightly.........and proceed to empty tank presto. Considering its a little big 150gal I didn't want to chance a disaster.

Question(s)........as anyone experienced the same problem with wood stands........meaning not perfectly leveled.........and of course, being in the basement......against and outside wall........explains the dipping forward problem.......

Whats the best way to correct this? I assume removing tank from stand.......and adding small pieces of wood under front of tank to compensate...........

also, when I was filling the tank I could hear the occasional small cracking noise.......as if the wood stand was settling........I assume since its wood it is normal to have some give to it.....right?!?

Guess what I am doing this weekend.........I love this hobby!  ;)

babblefish1960

I will suggest that by corner, you do not mean to place the shims between the aquarium and the stand, as the tank is meant to be supported evenly throughout its entire perimeter.

Otherwise, have a fun weekend with the level and the oh so subtle adjustments.

kennyman

I would also agree that shimming the base is preferable to shimming the tank. (shim at floor) I live in an old house (circa 1890) and my floors are original. Let me tell you they are not level and they move around with the seasons! My bigest tank is a 55gal and I had to shim the stand by 1/2" on one end. When I built the stand for my cube tank I let the 2x4 legs project out the bottom of the frame so that I could sand them down to custom level the stand for its spot  ;)

artw

we just put a bunch of cardboard under each corner of the stand to level mine, it was off about a half inch.

darkdep

DON'T put shims under the tank, always put them under the STAND.  The tank needs even support, especially a 6' tank.  Cedar shims are the most appropriate material, and are easy to use.

mila

I have problem with subfloor in my basement, it always sink down on one side when I fill it.
for 120g I had to cut subfloor out, make stand sitting on concrete floor.

darkdep

The purpose of the foam between the tank and stand is to absorb any unevenness in the stand top; it by itself won't help with leveling.

adam_ottawa

Quote from: Mila on October 13, 2006, 10:09:37 AM
I have problem with subfloor in my basement, it always sink down on one side when I fill it.
for 120g I had to cut subfloor out, make stand sitting on concrete floor.

Now that's dedication to this great hobby!  Imagine altering our houses to fit our fish tanks!

babblefish1960

Yes, very dedicated, but what Mila didn't mention, was who he put in the concrete first. ;D

Iceman

mila