New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

"spazzy" fish??

Started by zurus, October 18, 2006, 05:50:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zurus

Is it normal for my albino red zebra to be doing a spazzy twitching movement? He/she (i think it's a she??) swims around normally and then will just spaz out or twitch. Other than the weird movement she (?) seems to be fine.

cichlid lover

mine does the same thing I think this has something to do with breeding, I'm not sure though.

darkdep

Is this the only one of the breed in the tank?

It may be a male.  Males will often "shimmy" and shake as a sign of dominance and to advertise the willingness to breed. 

zurus

I have one red zebra (who I think is a male as it has the egg spots) and 2 albino zebras (which I believe are 2 females). I have just noticed the one albino doing the "shimmy".

darkdep

RoxyDog

Quote from: zurus on October 18, 2006, 09:28:04 PM
I have one red zebra (who I think is a male as it has the egg spots) and 2 albino zebras (which I believe are 2 females). I have just noticed the one albino doing the "shimmy".

I have 3 females, all have egg spots.  :)  just an FYI. 
I'm betting the "shimmier" is a boy.
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

darkdep

Yep, Egg Spots are not a reliable method of identification...ever.

zurus

hmm..just when I was beginning to think that I had them figured out!!! At least I (maybe) know that the "dancer" is a guy now. Since the other one isn't doing it, maybe it's a female?? I had an image of a bunch of mini albino zebras swimming around in the near future but the other one doesn't seem too attracted to the obvious signs of "wanting to hook up".

Oh by the way, the whole dominance issue with my demasoni's has been cleared up and it looks like the male got demoted. It kinda looks like the females are running the show.