New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Need to Euthanize a Fish

Started by darkdep, October 20, 2006, 11:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavidJohnson

Quote from: mseguin on October 20, 2006, 01:34:27 PM
If I had no clue what was going on, I'd rather be decapitated.

Problem is for a fish, just getting him in position to decapitate him will be somewhat stressfull as you have to take him out of his natural habitat (water).

If I  were a fish i think the clove oil would be the best.  Might take a few minutes but won't feel a thing.

Adam

Don't do baking soda or tonic water.

I did this to a rainbow who had had a stroke (partially paralyzed), and it took much longer than anticipated (read >10 minutes).  I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.  Putting the fish in a ziploc bag without water, then quickly onto concrete/something solid, and a good blow to the head will do it.  Shouldn't take more than 10 seconds, 5 if you're quick.

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

dpatte

i also freeze my fish. I put them in a small ziplock bag with their own tank water and into the dark freezer.
This seems to make the most sense to me, since they are coldblooded and will simply slow down.
(I wouldnt recommend dropping them into slush - this would definately be a shock and uncomfortable)

Shouganai

I don't think feeling one's own cells breaking down as ice crystals form in them and burst them is all that pleasant.  Recall that (for the most part) fish are not endotherms, and their bodies do not experience quite the same peaceful sleep that comes with hypothermia.  They're aware a lot longer than we'd be in the same situation.

Unless, of course, you're doing a shock flash-freeze, which causes death as instantly as decapitation.

darkdep

Where does one buy clove oil?  Health food stores?

BigDaddy

Just suck it up and decapitate it...

repeej

Quote from: BigDaddy on October 20, 2006, 03:56:10 PM
Just suck it up and decapitate it...

Poor thing will be dead by the time Chris gets his balls out of his purse... ;)

Rocktopus

Quote from: busdriver on October 20, 2006, 01:12:00 PM

I used the freeze method, it was explained to me that fish are cold blooded and the colder the water the slower the fish get until they go to sleep.

The same is suggested for lobsters.  I would go with freezing if I had to euthanise a fish.  The temp shock seems more humane then chopping the head.  If you've ever farmed chickens, you'll know a miss of the blade could result in a far more cruel and painful way to go.

Julie

Not pleasant but grab him and throw him as hard as you can on the garage floor.

Mother nature would have had him eaten by now.

Laura

Sorry about your fish. 
I've heard good things about the clove oil - I expect that any store stocking essential oils would have it - Health Food Stores I would try first, although some of the hippier pharmacies stock some oils.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds

babblefish1960

All pharmacies carry clove oil, it has been used for centuries as a pain reliever with toothaches, look in the dental section, it is in one ounce bottles.

Sue

I found a description of how to use clove oil on this link:

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-most-humane-way-to-euthanize-a-fish.htm

The best way to humanely put fish to sleep is:
"MS-222 (Finquel or Tricaine-S), also known as Tricaine methanesulfonate "
I doubt you can get hold of that without going to a vet.

dpatte

Quote from: Sue on October 20, 2006, 05:47:52 PM
The best way to humanely put fish to sleep is:
... Finquel

finquel - apropos!

fishycanuck

I have a bottle of clove oil if you want it, Chris.

KLKelly

I would go the clove oil method.  I got the clove oil at a health food store at the Gloucester centre.

I just used it on a small 1.5" tropical on Tuesday.  The lady at the store half killed one netting him and he was definitely suffering.  I put about five drops in 1/2 litre and shook it up (shake it up - it's an oil and needs to be mixed in).

I put the fish in it.  He wigged out for no more than five seconds at the most and bang - he was out!  No gill movements at all :(

Here's the instructions that I used - this was meant for fish larger than tropicals (goldfish) so the dose I used was probably much too high.

Oil Of Clove
Add 12 drops of Oil of Clove per 1 gallon (3.84 liters) of dechlorinated water. Oil of clove is very hard to mix so you may want to emulsify the clove oil by placing it in a smaller amount of water in a glass jar and shake well. Place the fish in a container large enough for it to move around freely along with an airstone on the highest setting and add the clove oil solution. The airstone will help keep the clove oil in solution. Once the fish turns on its side, watch the opercular movements (respiration/gill movements). The fish should be removed from the solution after at least ten minutes have passed since the last observed opercular movements (respiration/gill movements).

pegasus

Quote from: Julie on October 20, 2006, 04:52:58 PM
Not pleasant but grab him and throw him as hard as you can on the garage floor.
I've frozen fish before but Julie's way is the fastess, for the fish and myself, plus there is less chance that my family catch me in an immoral act. Explain why there is a fish in the freezer or why I need a knife to go in the basement.

markw

Hi Chris, I've had to put down more fish over the years than I'd like to think about and I've done them all. The best way I've found especially for African's(which are tough) is into a bowl of tank water and add 2 alqua selzer tablets. It is basically CO2 in a disolved state and the fish quickly dies of O2 depletion in a very calm state.
I hope this helps.
Regards
markw

ophelia

I'm partial to the freezing method myself but if you wanted something fast like a whack to the head without the problem of missing several times and having to listen to the dull thud of the rock hitting flesh over and over and over again you could always put him in the blender or cuisinart (with his own water of course) and flip the switch.  ;D

busdriver

Just an aside to my earlier comment!
Isn't putting a fish in anything else but water like suffocating them?
I know they are pets, but I'd hate to see them suffer.
If you want quick and don't want to decapitate it, stick it in a microwave for 10 seconds or however long it takes.
I mean whatever you do, it's going to hurt.
It's either you that it's going to hurt or the fish.
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

darkdep

Well, thanks for all the advice.  I decided to suck it up and decapitate the fish.

That was a completely horrible experience I never want to repeat.