New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Need to Euthanize a Fish

Started by darkdep, October 20, 2006, 11:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

busdriver

I guess there's not much we can say at a time like this. :'(
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

Shouganai

Microwave?! Talk about least humane method ever.  Microwaves cause water and some fats and oils to heat up as they absorb the energy, and potentially boil.  I think this would be less humane than even freezing.

Honestly, with methods like freezing, it seems to us like its the most humane way, because we just put the animal in the freezer and don't have to see its life end.  Its all a matter of what one is willing to do to most humanely end the suffering of an animal, reagrdless of whether it is a 'higher' animal or not.

Although it may seem unpleasant to us, and its not something anyone wants to do, decapitation or a REALLY good whack in the head area is the most rapid and humane way to euth a fish without special chemicals.  I dunno, maybe its because I grew up on a farm, but even as a youngster with fish, after reading up on euth methods for terminally ill fish, I would decapitate and I still do.

EDIT: DD as I was typing this I notice you'd updated the thread.  Sorry you had to experience it, but it really was for the best.  The little fish isn't suffering anymore, and at least you limited the suffering he had to experience to bring his life to an end.  You did good for him. :)

sas

Yep, have to agree with shoug on this, there are pros and cons to being at the top of the food chain. Just look back on how well the little guy was cared for. You did good.

artw

Sue

There actually is a way to humanely use  microwaves on lab rats and mice. But not kitchen microwaves. I think it instantly scambles the CNS.
"Death occurs in less than one second.  The microwave instrument used is specifically designed for euthanizing small rodents and directs the microwave energy directly toward the animal's head (kitchen-model microwave ovens are unacceptable for this use"

Shouganai

Yes, those instruments fire a very precise beam of microwaves at the correct location, which is something a microwave oven does not do.  Just think of how a microwave cooks a plate of food unevenly.

darkdep

Well, next time I'm going to do the clove oil thing.  Watching the decapitated head still trying to breathe and look around the room just about killed me.  The fish is better off but man....

BigMomma

Quote from: DarkDep on October 21, 2006, 01:08:37 PM
Well, next time I'm going to do the clove oil thing.  Watching the decapitated head still trying to breathe and look around the room just about killed me.  The fish is better off but man....
Why did you look? Decapitate and look away ...

artw

Chris I am sorry for your loss... my condolances.

squeeker

My $0.02 on euthanization, and I've posted it before.

This is a subject I've done a fair bit of research into.

A document put out by the American Veterinary Medical Association in 2001, their Panel on Euthanasia, can be found at:

http://www.avma.org/issues/animal_welfare/euthanasia.pdf

Page 19 deals with fish, but I will share what is written specifically on freezing:

QuoteCooling-- It has been suggested that, when using physical methods of euthanasia in ectothermic species, cooling to 4 C will dextease metabolism and facilitate handling, but there is no evidence that whole body cooling reduces pain or is clinically efficacious.  Local cooling in frogs does reduce nociception, and this may be partly opioid mediated.  Immobilization of reptiles by cooling is considered inappropriate and inhumane even if combined with other physical or chemical methods of euthanasia. Snakes and turtles, immobilized by cooling, have been killed by subsequent freezing.  This method is not recommended.  Formation of ice crystals on the skin and in tissues of an animal may cause pain or distress. Quick freezing of deeply anesthetized animals is acceptable. 

The table in Appendix 1 lists the acceptable means of euthanization for many classes of animals. For fish, the table finds the following methods acceptable:

QuoteBarbiturates, inhalant anesthetics, CO2, tricaine methane
sulfonate (TMS, MS 222), benzocaine hydrochloride,
2-phenoxyethanol

and these methods conditionally acceptable:

QuoteDecapitation and pithing, stunning and decapitation/pithing

The table found on the last page of the report states unacceptable means of euthanization. Freezing is not considered humane for any animal.

IMHO, the most humane way to euthanize a fish is by a sharp blow to the head, or decapitation. While it's not the most pleasant for humans, that's not the point, as you are trying to do what's best for the fish! Any animal that is euthanized (or killed for any other reason) including mice that are fed to snakes, cows, chickens, turkeys, etc. are either decapitated, or killed with a blow or shot to the head.

artw

thank you Squeeker for posting this, and I will reconsider my methods if I have to do this in the future.

Aquaviewer

I just wanted to clarify something about the use of clove oil to add to what Shouganai and Squeeker have posted.  Clove oil is an anesthetic/sedative for fish that knocks them out and unless the dose is really high it doesn't kill them immediately.  I high dose of clove oil is stressful on the fish and they will display symptoms similar to asphyxia.  Cessation of opercular movement does not necessarily indicate death.  Clove oil is a common sedative in fish surgeries and a fish that may seem 'dead' because of no opercular movement would likely revive if placed back in clean water within a given time period.  The time it takes to revive is dependant on the dose, time elapsed and the size of the fish.  So if you are looking for a humane way to dispatch your sick fish and don't want to leave it to drown in a clove oil bath and you are a bit squeamish (in the absence of veterinary pharmaceuticals) knock it out with clove oil then decapitate or knock it on the head with a quick sharp blow.
Rainbows, plecos, corydoras, killifish, Apistogramma

DavidJohnson

Quote from: Aquaviewer on October 21, 2006, 11:13:39 PM
I just wanted to clarify something about the use of clove oil to add to what Shouganai and Squeeker have posted.  Clove oil is an anesthetic/sedative for fish that knocks them out and unless the dose is really high it doesn't kill them immediately.  I high dose of clove oil is stressful on the fish and they will display symptoms similar to asphyxia.  Cessation of opercular movement does not necessarily indicate death.  Clove oil is a common sedative in fish surgeries and a fish that may seem 'dead' because of no opercular movement would likely revive if placed back in clean water within a given time period.  The time it takes to revive is dependant on the dose, time elapsed and the size of the fish.  So if you are looking for a humane way to dispatch your sick fish and don't want to leave it to drown in a clove oil bath and you are a bit squeamish (in the absence of veterinary pharmaceuticals) knock it out with clove oil then decapitate or knock it on the head with a quick sharp blow.

Once the clove oil has taken effect the fish is essentially sleeping and you can do pretty much anything to it without it feeling any pain.  So yes, you could decapitate it at that point but you could also go on to add either a lethal dose of clove oil or something like vodka which would kill the fish and is probably less stressful on the average fish owner.  This would be the equivalent of lethal injection capital punishment done in the U.S.

See http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-the-most-humane-way-to-euthanize-a-fish.htm for more detailed explanation of the procedure.

Sarah Bella

Quote from: DarkDep on October 21, 2006, 01:08:37 PM
Watching the decapitated head still trying to breathe and look around the room just about killed me

ya, thats a little unnerving

sorry for your loss

FYI: you can get clove oil at the indian grocery on Carling across from the Colliseum for $3.50 a bottle (15ml)... 

Laura

I would suggest that this (or an edited version) get stickied - it's got lots of useful info on methods, myths and links for when it comes time to dispatch a fish.
700 gal pond - Rosy reds