New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Need to Euthanize a Fish

Started by darkdep, October 20, 2006, 11:03:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkdep

Sadly, I need to Euthanize a fish.  I have a Yellow Lab with cancer that is in obvious distress and can no longer right itself at all, he just floats at the surface.  He's a tough fish, he's had a swim bladder disorder for over a year (swam head up).  Now the tumour is an open wound and is bleeding, and he can't eat anymore.  It's time.

We've discussed this before and I remember the arguments for various methods, but I actually care about this fish (lame, I guess) and really would like it to be painless.

mseguin

Most painless, if you have the guts, is a good whack on the head and then severing the head.

Zoe

I am sorry to hear about your fish  :'(

Unless you have access to anasthetic, put him in a small cup of water and fill the water with baking soda.  Or simple decapitation.

Rudy00

i thought the most painless would be to freeze them rather than the whack method

mseguin

I still don't quite buy the freezing theory.

Mettle

The 'whack method' is a sudden jolt of pain and then nothing.

The freezing method entails putting them in a cup or a bag which causes blind panic until their system eventually shuts down and they drift off.

The baking soda method, I'm assuming, suffocates them.

I think the quickest and most humane method out of those commonly available to your regular household fish enthusiast is decapitation or a hard whack on the head.

darkdep

Last night I assumed he was so near death that simply taking him out of the water would do him in.  He was out for about 30 seconds and started flipping around, I couldn't do it, and I put him back in.  Resumed his position, but was ok.  This is one tough little fish.

So far, decapitation is looking like the best option, although it does involve a very hands-on approach...:(

artw

I used the freezing method when I had sick fish.  As far as I know their system just slows down and shuts off.  if the fish is in a tupperware container in a closed freezer there is no light at all, so I wouldn't think there would be that much stress.   fish are different than humans, its not like someone is shoving us in a dark elevator and taking out all of the air.

Eric

I've used the freezer a couple of times.  It seemed quiet and quick.  I thought decapitation would cause panic being out of the water and all that. 

I read you can use clove oil added to water, I think as an anesthetic?  Never did this.

Hope it goes ok, whatever you do.

sas

I too have used the freeze method once. Although it does support the out of sight out of mind problem. What do fish do, specifically goldfish left in a pond over winter? Supposedly all the water does not freeze but their metabilizum must slow down drastically? As a second choice I think a whack on the head would be more humane then adding something to the water. Jeez what a topic :( Oh the quandries of being a responsible pet owner.

darkdep

Sorry for being a downer; considering the tank blowouts and massive fish losses a lot of people seem to have had over the last few months, this problem is pretty minor, but like I said, I'm kind of attached to this particular fish and want to do the right thing.

Decapitation is looking like the method I'm going to use.  I know people are not like fish but given the suggestions so far, if I had to choose for myself I'd choose the quick method.

Zoe

If you freeze, I suggest you use a bag, fill it halfway with water and the let partially freeze (so it gets slushy when you break up the film of ice), then put the fish in the bag and back in the freezer.

I've been suggested that before, I think the shock on their system may end it sooner.

busdriver

Sorry to hear about you fish!
I used the freeze method, it was explained to me that fish are cold blooded and the colder the water the slower the fish get until they go to sleep.
I read about the clove oil and vodka, but I couldn't figure out if the vodka was for the fish or me and I don't drink.
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

succinctfish

Sorry to hear about your fish.  Here is some more info on the clove oil method.  I haven't tried it yet, but it seems a little less traumatizing for the person doing it at least.
http://www.kokosgoldfish.com/EuthanizingFish.html

Shouganai

Don't use the freeze method, go with decapitation.  Every fish book I have says freezing results in a lot of panic and then pain before death for the fish.

If the fish freaks out being removed from the water, place it in a container of water with clove oil added.  This works as a sedative.  Then preform the decapitation as rapidly as you can.

bitterman

Chris, sorry about your poor fish.

I've heard of the freezing and It may not be as cruel as is seams. I don't like it, but it will work and since fish are cold blooded it would just slowly slow everything down until stuff would stop (Like keeping sick people comfortable with morphine) eventually the drugs will kill you, but you will be comforatable.

Put the fish in a fish bag with water, like you are going to transport it and add a bunch of alcohol to the water. That will kill it pretty quick and the fish should stay happy.

I had a party that someone added a shot of vodka to a 1 gallon beta bowl and though it would be funny, not so.. poor beta died very quickly. Think about it we like getting drunk, so the fish would fell happy too?

Sorry again,
   Bruce

DavidJohnson

Ask yourself how you would want to go?  Freezing?  Decapitation?  Probably not your first choices.  Clove oil as anesthesia and/or Vodka seems much more humane to me.

mseguin

If I had no clue what was going on, I'd rather be decapitated.

babblefish1960

Okay Darkdep, you have a reasonable consensus, though somewhat polarized, that involves two things, your love of the fish that is dieing, and your personal level of squeemishness, IF, you really can't kill the poor thing yourself, give me a call, or some other old farmer, and I'll come and dispatch your precious for you.  It is always hard to kill our pets, they are family, and we are naturally averse to taking life.

darkdep

Thanks for the offer babble.  I've got the afternoon to consider it all.  I'll let you know what I decide.