New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

A whole bunch of little additions

Started by darkdep, November 14, 2006, 04:11:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

darkdep

I've been spending some time adding some new little features to the site that are available with our new forum software update.

- Advanced Captcha: New users registering to the system now have a better CAPTCHA system to work with, where they have to type back letters that are generated in an image.  This will help prevent spammers in the future.

- New Wiki Tag!  When posting, you can use this:

[wiki=Sodium Chloride]Table Salt[/wiki]

To get this:  [wiki=Sodium Chloride]Table Salt[/wiki]

- Captcha Audio Fix: Users can click a link on the registration page to have the letters read back to them if they are hard to read (which is the point).  This fix makes the audio popup box a bit easier to read.

- New Ebay Tag!  When posting, you can use this:

[ebay]120052784399[/ebay]

To get this:  [ebay]120052784399[/ebay]

- Expand Pages:  When you see page listings in the forum like this:  1  2  3 ... 14 15 16, etc, you can now click on any of the "..." placeholders to expand all the numbers out.

- New Google Tag!  When posting, you can use this:

[google=Ottawa aquariums]Ottawa and Aquariums[/google]

To get this:  [google=Ottawa aquariums]Ottawa and Aquariums[/google]

- New Mod has been installed to log all moderator account edits.  If someone malicious ever got admin rights to our forum, we could track them.

- DEA (Disposable Email Address) blocking.  We now block 198 "DEA" domains that spammers often use when trying to create fake accounts here.  This offers a lot of protection.

- For long topics with many pages of posts, you can now do a search INSIDE the topic.

- When editing your signature in your profile, there are now easy to use BBCode buttons above the entry box.

- When you have private messages waiting, there is now a pretty little attention-grabbing graphic on the blue navigation bar.

- When using the "Show Unread" feature, in addition to the "Mark all as Read" button, you can now select items from the list and use the new "Mark Selected as Read".

- The display of topics with multiple pages in the forum topic listings is now a bit nicer and easier to use.

- The Moderators can now see who voted what in polls. 

Note that for the Google, Wikipedia, and Ebay tags, there are now buttons in the posting screen that will show you how to use them.

If you have any Q's, please let me know.  Much of this may be gibberish to you, that's ok :)

PaleoFishGirl

Cool, APW! Lots more stuff to play with :D

Something weird is going on with the Show Unread feature.  When I was at home this morning and clicked "Show Unread" they all came up, but I didn't read any of them.  When I got to work and logged on, they didn't show up in Show Unread but were still marked 'new' in the Forums themselves.

BigDaddy

That's normal... I get that all the time

PaleoFishGirl

Never happened to me before the upgrade.

Seanc

For long topics with many pages of posts, you can now do a search INSIDE the topic.

YAY!!