New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

30 gal tetra tank to African Cichlids or The Newb Cichlid Thread

Started by groan, November 15, 2006, 10:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pegasus

We are talking about crushed coral, the size of pebbles , not a piece of coral. It would not do any harm but it would be so out of place.  ;)

bitterman

Quote from: groan on November 17, 2006, 10:13:10 AM
When I pick up my fish

Why not purchase your fish from Pegasus. He is breeding all the fish you mentioned (Will also be better quality fish and less $ then getting them from the LFS).

Depending on the type of filter you have you could put crushed coral (in a bag) in your filter.

Bruce

RoxyDog

Yay africans!  I have crushed coral in my filter, but I really don't think my fish care.  My ph is 7.4 I think?  That's the only thing I changed for them.  But then again, I'm not hoping they'll breed or anything!  And I also say to get your fish from Pegasus or soemone else on here, they are likely better quailty, and much cheaper!  :) 

Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

groan

Quote from: bitterman on November 17, 2006, 11:10:15 AM
Why not purchase your fish from Pegasus. He is breeding all the fish you mentioned (Will also be better quality fish and less $ then getting them from the LFS).

Depending on the type of filter you have you could put crushed coral (in a bag) in your filter.

Bruce

Oh ya! he did mention that...duh.

i'll send you a PM Peggy. (you dopnt mind if i call you peggy do you?)

as for the coral in the filter, i have a biowheel (cant remember the size, i think 50) so I suppose i could do a bag.

I think putting a shell in there would look out of place as well. I'd need a hollowed out piece of lava to fit in, and I could do that myself with the right piece.

groan

Here is the fish i currently have that I will be selling...

3 neon dwarf rainbow (2m 1f)
http://www.aquariumfish.net/images_01/neon_dwarf_rainbows_001_w640.jpg
5-6 danio (veil tail leopard and standard zebra)
http://www.jjphoto.dk/fish_archive/aquarium/danio_frankei.htm
4-5 lemon tetra
3 Chinese algae eater
3 emperor tetra
http://www.aquarium365.com/s148500.htm
3 oto (1 large and 2 small yet they are all same age)
1 skirted tetra (not doing so well...seems to be losing weight. had 2 others that went the same way with no explanation. the rest of the fish are very healthy and active)

All fish are healthy (with the one exception) and about 1.5-2 years old.
I'd prefer to get rid of them all at once. If I can't i may just take the lot to BA's. I can't have a bunch of people coming and going through the house at this point.
2 is ok, with the one person already intrested in the shrimp and whoever wants this lot.

Problem is, I really don't know what to ask for the lot. I would just give them away, but I want to replace them with the cichlids...so if someone wants to trade, i would but otherwise, what would you think would be a fair price to ask for this crowd?

bitterman

Why not bag them and bring them to next week OVAS meeting if there is an auction? Auction them off.

Bruce

cory

I would upgrade your filter to a fluval or eheim. Im a big fan on canister filters. Also multi-stage filters are better than a foam pad. All of us aren't as blessed like pegasus and bitterman with 8-9.0ph, crushed coral helps, but should not rely on that. Get your self a test kit, if you are worried. Its best to have one, just in case. My water is at 7.8ph and im happy and my fish are too i think. Also look into the fish you plan on getting and what you plan on feeding them. Diet can influence health. Malawi Bloat for example. Best of luck and feel free to post any question you might have.

groan

Thanks for the suggestion with the filter system. And I do have a test kit.

I have turned my biowheel into a multistage by butting floss in before the carbon filter and it does filter out alot before it gets to the carbon.
I will consider the canister type at a later time,a s it's more of a money issue with that in the equasion.

I have pretty much decided on teh saulosi and as suggested I'll start off with one male and 3 female and let them work themselves up from there. I guess with that in mind I should either get a fry cage or set up my 10 gallon tank? I've never raised fry tso if that were to happen i'll be sure to be back in a hurry!

Anyways, back to the batch of fish. I don't know how likely i'd be able to get them to a meeting, besides, i'm not officially a member and I probably wouldnt be at the meetings too often. I'm a dad of a 2.5er and he takes up most of my time...that and gaming (i'm a geek).
So I guess I'm back to the request of what do you think that batch would be worth? Should I just take the bags to the shop and be done with it? I know, have some cahones and make a decision.

I'll let this thread sit for a bit and then I'lldecide what I'm goign to do. Pegasus, I'll contact you about the saulosi and cost/where you live.
Who knows, maybe when I see your stock i may change my mind!

Type to you soon,

cory

When you see his stock you will go nuts. His house is intense. The first time i was there im sure Michel was looking for a bowl to put under my mouth to keep the drool off the floor.

As for the fry. If it happends, you have 2 weeks to get another tank and have it set up before you strip the female.
Best of luck! :)

groan

Quotestrip the female

that sounds terrible!
what exactly is stripping the female?

I'm looking forward to seeing what he has and talking to him. he sounds like he could really help me make up my mind, that's all ajumble now.

it will be easier to decide once I see the fish as well.

darkdep

You don't have to strip the female  ::)

Getting Africans at the meeting can be hit or miss.  You will see things like Yellow Labs there quite often, but if you're looking for something in particular you should probably just hook up with a local breeder (like Pegasus).

pegasus

You are welcome to visit anytime, just pm me the day before. I'm free after work and most weekends. Yes it's crazy up here. I may have one or two tanks done by the books but all the rest are more establish as I need them to be.
Some of the crazy thing you can see are the tanks that I have not touch for over 3 to for years, just replacing the water lost to evaporation, the tanks with no heathers, the daily stripping (ok I prefer to bunch strip my females), the management of keeping certain species apart, of moving fry and juveniles, the DIY gadgets and the vicious dog that will greet you at the door. ;)

After you've seen my place, you should visit the nice clean fish room of Steve000, DPatte or Sue and others (hey I never have time to visit  :'( )

Now the only reason why someone would drool seeing those tanks would be because there  is always one or two in sight wherever you look in the house. Personally, I'm not satisfied, there is no place left in the fish room to put a lasyboy and to enjoy them.

cory

DarkDep! I like stripping my female. They like it :)

groan

lol  :)

What the heck is stripping a female!!!???

Thanks Pegasus. I'll do that. I dont suppose you take Big Al store credit? (kidding)
I'll probably bring in the fish this weekend unles I get some intrest. I dont know what to ask so I dont feel I can put an ad in the classifieds (no price).
I may contact you friday to arrange for the weekend.

Cheers!

pegasus

You don't need to buy any of my fish for a visit. I may even refuse a sale if I think it's wrong or will even tell you where you can get better price or quality.
When selling to LFS, I refuse credit notes or I double their price so I can sell the credit at 75% it's value.

Quatro

Quote from: groan on November 21, 2006, 07:30:00 AM
lol  :)

What the heck is stripping a female!!!???

When a mouth brooder breeds, the female holds the eggs in her mouth to protect them.  Stripping a female is prying their mouth open and shaking out the eggs and/or babies.

Mike S

groan

Thanks for the info Quatro!

And Pegasus, I was kidding about the store credit thing. ;)

(corrected awkward typo)

darkdep

To further Quatro's explanation:

Stripping is a bit of an advanced procedure which has the goal of maximizing fry output from a breeding.  By getting the fry away from the female quicker than she would normally release them, you can get her eating again quicker (it's easier on her), and you don't need to seperate the female in another tank. 

It's NOT necessary; but is a technique used by some.  I do it sometimes, but other times I put the female by herself and let her spit when she's ready.  There are arguments for both ways.  One thing you get with the "natural" approach is you do get to see some interesting parental behaviour after she spits.

groan

Thanks DD and everyone
I guess if i get into Africans i should expect fry, so I want to be prepared.
Should I set up my 10 gal for this possability or are they ok with the other females/male and eventual other males? (is there such a thing as inbreeding causing bad broods with fish?)
OK, getting a little off topic here...well not really...

Anyways, i guess this thread should be labled 'All the questions a newb would ask about starting on cichlids'

darkdep

Fry are a good possibility, yes.  However if you're not interested in breeding specifically then just leave the female with the rest and let nature take it's course.  Cichlids are fantastic parents and watching this behaviour can be very rewarding.