New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

30 gal tetra tank to African Cichlids or The Newb Cichlid Thread

Started by groan, November 15, 2006, 10:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beowulf

Quote from: groan on November 24, 2006, 09:09:32 AM
AH.
well they were a great help in my tank. I had a horrendous case of black hair algae and they cleared it all up!
They weren't bad agains the other inhabitants. they mostly chased themselves.

I think true SAE are better as they keep eating the algea all their lives and are not as agressive as the CAE which loses interest in algea as they get older.

groan

CRUD! i meant SAE!
The ones that BA's always has listed as White Flying Foxes but are actually SAE's.
Sorry folks....3 nice big ones there now.

groan

Mu visit to DarDep's today was a great success and he';s going to help me out wiht my lighting dillemna!

I spoke with him for about an hour gazing at his fish and tankwall. Great display and some beautifully loved fish in that house.

I came home with 3 yellow Labs and 4 Afras. I love them to bits! They are so much more fun to watch than the fish I had before. so much ennergy and the locve to swim around in the rocks. it's been a long time since i've had cichlids in the family (my dad kept them when i was much younger).

I'll post a cou;l epics but they are not great quality. my little digi has a short zoom and the digital zoom produces grainy images. anyways, here are a coupel shots...coming up as soon as i resize them a bit

[attachment deleted by admin]

groan

i need more light...sorry for the flash, makes the fish look not-so-great. they really are a treat and the colors are fantastic.
The labs were born in August and the Afras were born in Feb.

groan

DD's room is really impressive. If only my wife woudl let me have more than one tank. I can hardly juggle the multipe hobbies I have!

adam_ottawa

Great choice in fish!  They contrast nicely against the colour of your rocks and substrate.

I'm sure you'll enjoy them very much.  While I don't have any Afras, I find the Yellow Labs are full of personality.  They even come greet me at the glass when I walk in the room.

groan

They are still very skittish except one. he comes out and watches me all the time. I even had to reach into the tank to grab something out and the littlest lab just sat there 5 inches away and watched me.

Oh and DD you'll be happy to know that the male afra that was showing his colours so nicely at you rpalce has started to set his status in the tank. his marks are showing nicely...very dark bars already so it seems he's feeling right at home.

darkdep

Excellent, good to hear.  He was definetly the boss in his growout tank.

Although, with Afras, there is always one to take the place of the boss.  I have another in that tank who has coloured up now and has taken the role of boss :)

cory

beowulf

Hey Groan noticed you also have a thread on this tank over at aquahobby.com  ;D

groan

Yes,
I had started a tank thread there a long time ago when i first set up my tank. I keep it updated whenever I make a change. That was the first site I found when i was doing research a couple years ago, before I saw the light that is OVAS.

beowulf

Quote from: groan on November 28, 2006, 08:50:32 AM
Yes,
I had started a tank thread there a long time ago when i first set up my tank. I keep it updated whenever I make a change. That was the first site I found when i was doing research a couple years ago, before I saw the light that is OVAS.

Same here, I still find it a useful site and I like to get ideas from the photo section.