New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Hi Im Anthony

Started by twotones, December 24, 2006, 06:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

twotones

Well Im originally from Sri Lanka came to Ottawa 4 years ago, I love it here except for the fact that I have to worry about chloramine, temperature issues and artificial sunlight for my aquariums ;D  Im into Bettas and used to breed them back home. Im just starting again on my old hobby, got myself 3 10Gal tanks and still buying the equipment for them (so if you have anything that is lying around I sure can take em off your hands :D for a low price though cos Im on a tight budget) Right now I just have a couple of pet-store bought bettas for the trial and error period, later on I hope to try my hand with the more exotic strains.

Breeding is so complicated here in Canada ! back home it was just a clay pot and a square of banana leaf burnt lightly over hot coals to float as a nest and bingo you got enough fry and no water conditions to worry about :)   But its websites like this where the veterans share their knowledge which helps a lot, so a sincere thank you to all of you.

Oh yeah I also have a 9 month old rottie who just chewed up one of my plastic plants the other day a real rascal he is.

Thank you and happy holidays to everybody even though its not gonna be a white Christmas !

beowulf

Welcome, sounds like an interesting way to breed the bettas.  I guess with the hot weather and their natural water it can makes things a fair bit easier.

twotones

yes it really is easier, there is a theory that clay pots because they are porous absorbs the harmful chemicals in the water, like a "live" tank of sorts. I dunno if its just a myth or fact cos I'm yet to see any scientific evidence about it. The main issues to worry about are the parasites like ich and for that we used methylin blue in another tank with the fish and actually boil water in the infected pot on the stove !!! sounds wierd doesnt it ?

either way it was a lot easier to maintain water quality especially with fry.

I hope that was a bit of interesting info i shared  :D

babblefish1960

Yes that is very interesting to know this stuff, fish keeping practises such as you mention aren't even doable here in the summer. It is definitely a slice of different life from the equator.

I would welcome you to the OVAS website, but I feel I should blame you first and foremost for bringing tropical weather with you when you came to the Capital of the Great White North four years ago. Yes, it must be your fault that we have green grass still at Christmas, just joking, really, welcome to the site, and I hope you find us informative and entertaining.

I would encourage you to come to a meeting in January to have a look at what crazy fish people really look like. When you come, imagine a fleet of corydoras catfish scurrying around the auction table looking over all the goodies, it should crack you up. :D

twotones

LOL !
that is indeed funny !!! thee hee yes i defintely will :) how do i go about becoming a proper member n stuff ?
well nevermind i can read all that up im someplace here im sure.
where are these meetings usually held ? i dont have a car and i live at Lees avenue (close to U of O)
so if they are far far away i wont be able to come :(

but I'd love to become an active member of OVAS ! what better than to hang out with like minded people :)

babblefish1960

I'm glad you have a sense of humour, I'm afraid that you'll need it here, we are all a bit funny.

As for the meetings, you actually live not far away from them, they are at the Jack Purcell centre just off Elgin street by Boushey's market. If you don't wish to walk, you could take a bus directly, as the #3 I think it is, goes right in front of both locations, yours and the clubs. As for becoming a member of the club, you have several options; you could use paypal under the Articles/info tab on the left of your screen under your avatar, you could buy one at Pet Circus on Bank at Cooper, or Big Al's on Innes road, and of course you can buy them at the meetings from the Executive table. Hope to see you there.