New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

How do I change my user name?

Started by aidensmomma2000, February 04, 2007, 09:57:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aidensmomma2000

aidensmomma2000

Oh. Uhm...what if I wanted this name to go away and have a new one? How could I do that/get that done?  Does it require bribes? 8)

babblefish1960

The only real way this could be done would be to ask to have your current account deleted, following that, re-apply as a new registrant, There would of course be approvals and the time lag. Additionally, in this way though, you would lose all connections to your recent posts and pm's.

aidensmomma2000

I dont mind losing my old posts- but I would mind losing my post count/member number and all that!

babblefish1960

That is the only thing you could do, without the posts you have no post count, and by deletion, you lose your registered website user number.

aidensmomma2000

So, the moderators are unable to change my username then?  ???

babblefish1960

murgus

I was sure this had happened before - I might be losing my mind though ::)  Obviously a quick PM to Darkdep would net you the definitive answer, him being the APW and all.

Andrew

babblefish1960

You'll note that Bigdaddy is also a webmaster and also said no, as will APW, and I can assure you, it is not something that is taken lightly. If however you are being hunted by the mafia, perhaps OVAS is not the place to hide. ;)

aidensmomma2000

Nono, not the mafia...Im just starting to take my privacy online more seriously than I used to and I've made a lot of posts with information I dont want there anymore. It hasnt been an issue on any other forum I've been on, I didnt imagine having problems here.

Maybe I should delete my account and start over- if it will remove the posts and I can change my name. I've just been an online member for so long (and attending ovas-er back when I was younger) that I had to lose the numbers (posts, member #) which I know is silly!

babblefish1960

If you have personal information you don't want out there in the ether for all to see, you could always modify the posts that concern your privacy, that is another option.

murgus

Quote from: babblefish1960 on February 04, 2007, 04:53:38 PM
You'll note that Bigdaddy is also a webmaster and also said no, as will APW, and I can assure you, it is not something that is taken lightly. If however you are being hunted by the mafia, perhaps OVAS is not the place to hide. ;)

Not taken lightly but it is done, and recently, complete with post count remaining intact...

Andrew

babblefish1960

The answer remains no, this is not an argument, it is policy.

murgus

Quote from: babblefish1960 on February 05, 2007, 09:26:14 AM
The answer remains no, this is not an argument, it is policy.

When did this policy come into effect?

I can cite a specific, recent example if you wish, just PM me.

Andrew

BigDaddy

Murgus... I know of one user who had his username changed fairly recently... that individual approached DarkDep, and DarkDep felt it was appropriate to change his username given his circumstances...

Other than that, I changed Muad'dib because he was a new user and a new OVAS member and had made the request (however this change was made prior to the APW making it clear it wasn't something he did very often and preferred not to do)

artw

aidensmomma, please take your concern directly to Darkdep.

murgus

Thank you very much BigDaddy - I appreciate the candidness of your response. 

All that really needed to be said was that it is OVAS policy not to allow user name changes but exceptions can be made in specific circumstances.  To state that it is not done, period, is really disingenuous as the proof can be found with a little searching.

This is all I will have to say on this topic and, again, thank you for your candor.

Andrew

Quote from: BigDaddy on February 05, 2007, 10:36:05 AM
Murgus... I know of one user who had his username changed fairly recently... that individual approached DarkDep, and DarkDep felt it was appropriate to change his username given his circumstances...

Other than that, I changed Muad'dib because he was a new user and a new OVAS member and had made the request (however this change was made prior to the APW making it clear it wasn't something he did very often and preferred not to do)

darkdep

I should have stepped in on this earlier but haven't been online much this weekend.

Bottom line is that Official APW Policy (I won't say OVAS policy as really, this is not something the executive has ever had an official vote on), is that I HIGHLY discourage username changes.

This means that if you just want to change your name because you saw a movie and want to be known as the latest superhero, then your request will be denied.

If you want to change your name because you saw someone else get their name changed, regardless of your reason, your request will be denied.  I've been moderating forums and BBS's since I was 12 years old, and I'm not going to EVER entertain a flood of username change requests as long as I live.

NOW, all that being said:  If someone has what they feel is a legitimate reason to request a username change, then I will consider it.  AM:  Please PM me and let's discuss this privately. 

fishycanuck

What the APW neglects to mention is that, when he was 12, the bulletin boards were made of cork.
I have decided to change my name to LauraFishyCanuckWhoopDeeDooNurseOMagnificentOneEverSoPunctual.
Not my user name, by real name.
:-*