New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Abbr.

Started by normc, February 23, 2007, 06:09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

normc

Could some one explain the abbr. used eg. HOB AC etc. ::) 

Shouganai

HOB = hang on back
AC = Aquaclear
etc. = Et cetera is an English expression that means "and other things". It has been directly borrowed from the Latin expression which means "and the others." Et means "and"; cetera means "other things." It is also sometimes spelling et caetera or et cætera, and is often abbreviated to etc.. Archaic abbreviations include &/c., &c., and &ca.. (Wikipedia)

:)

Quatro

This should be more then you'll ever want to know.

http://ovas.ca/index.php?page=42

normc

Quote from: Shouganai on February 23, 2007, 06:12:57 PM
HOB = hang on back
AC = Aquaclear
etc. = Et cetera is an English expression that means "and other things". It has been directly borrowed from the Latin expression which means "and the others." Et means "and"; cetera means "other things." It is also sometimes spelling et caetera or et cætera, and is often abbreviated to etc.. Archaic abbreviations include &/c., &c., and &ca.. (Wikipedia)

:)
You have been to many of babbles posts

PaleoFishGirl

LOL Shoug you forgot "eg."

Shouganai

Oh dang!

I chalk it up to being really tired. :)

fishycanuck

babblefish1960

Well, seeing as I missed out on the earlier fun stuff, I'll jump right in here with the e.g., and try to keep it simple.
The abbreviation e.g. is for the Latin exempli gratia, "for example." I.e., Latin id est, means "that is." They're not interchangeable. Both abbreviations should be followed by a comma.

Additionally, for fun really, I thought I would include a little understood pair of words, affect and effect. An easily confused pair. Affect with an a is usually a verb; effect with an e is (usually) a noun. When you affect something, you have an effect on it. The usual adjective is effective, which means "having the right effect," or "getting the job done" — an effective medicine, for instance. (It can also mean "in effect," as in "the new policy is effective immediately.")

If the usuals leave you curious, here's the rest of the story: affective as an adjective means "relating to or arousing an emotional reaction"; effect as a verb means "to bring about" or "to accomplish," as in "to effect a change." There's also the noun affect, usually used in psychology, meaning "an emotion" or "feeling."

I'm sure you'll agree, there are so many variables even though they are not abbreviations.