New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

220 gallon filtration

Started by audioslave_36, March 23, 2007, 07:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

audioslave_36

Hi there

I am looking for some input here.  I have three fluval 404's is this going to be adequate filtration for this tank ?  It will have 8 large ID sharks (8 to 16 " in length) 6 plecos and a bunch of little snails.

I would really rather not have any hang on filters as my tank is visible from both sides.

Input please.

Dave

BigDaddy

Well.. if you aren't measuring ammonia or nitrite, then you have enough biological filtration... and that's what matters most.

audioslave_36

no water in it yet :( custom building the stand at my Dads cabinet shop. I asked the question because I have read alot of threads on here where people are running canister and hang on the back filters at the same time.

I was wondering if it was due to necessity or personal preference.

My ID sharks are far from the cleanest fish to keep  ???

thank you

Dave

BigDaddy

Well... there was another member on the forums... JBL I believe.  He had a 220 that was pretty heavily stocked.  I'm pretty sure he had 3 or 4 canisters on his tank... and he said it was a little overkill but he preferred more over less.

Given your sharks are messy and you'll likely be doing regular water changes and regular gravel vacs... if you load up your canisters mostly with biomedia... they should be enough I would think.

audioslave_36

:) :) That is what was hoping to hear.  :) :)

thank you

Dave

sniggir

do you all ready have the fluval's? cuase if you don't go talk to Loyed he has these ehiem nock offs called astro... and I am sure they are made by the same company as ehiem.. anyway you could buy 2 or 3 of those id you wish for cheaper than buying the fluvals... and they are rated for 160g each if you get the big one... would mean that you would have a great tank turn over and great flow
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

Adam

I put in my 304s:

Stock foam from Fluval (The piece that has the 4 foam inserts in it...

First media chamber - ceramic bio rings.
Second chamber - pillow stuffing (really clears water)
Third chamber - ceramic bio rings.

If you're putting in UGJs, just make sure they point to the filter intakes and you'll be ok.  The fluvals are good, but they don't pump out all that much.  Your UGJs will make up for that.  If it's not enough, you can supplement with an Aquaclear 110 hang-on-back filter (HOB).

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

audioslave_36

yes I already bought three 404's from sp kanata when they had thier big sale on them a couple months ago. I paid 135 for each one, which I thought was a great deal. I have two of them running in my 55 gal tank right now so they will ready for my 220 gal when I am done my stand and ugj's. I think I will add the third one this weekend to get it set up too.

beowulf

I don't thing I am going to get multiple canisters for mine and instead I will likely go with the Fluval FX5 or something similar.

audioslave_36

I thought about that too but this way I get filtration tubes in three zones instead of only one, and with the ugj's I agree with Adam, if I aim the jets right it should be very effective :)

beowulf

Quote from: audioslave_36 on March 24, 2007, 07:42:42 PM
I thought about that too but this way I get filtration tubes in three zones instead of only one, and with the ugj's I agree with Adam, if I aim the jets right it should be very effective :)

I figured with the ugj I should be ok not as messy fish as you with my clown loaches as my main fish.

kennyman

I think big tanks like that are excellent candates for wetdry trickle sumps. The media area is HUGE and you are only dealing with a single pump that can easily power the undergravel jets.

homestar726

Who is the Loyed you speak with the great filters? I was reading another post, and now im intrigued...

audioslave_36

:o :o I always thought sumps were for salt water only.   ??? ???

hmm.  now my wife looking at me as if to say "if it means the 220gal tank gets off my dinning room floor, do it !"   :-[ 

audioslave_36

Loyd is a member here, you can pm him.

babblefish1960

Quote from: homestar726 on March 24, 2007, 10:24:13 PM
Who is the Loyed you speak with the great filters? I was reading another post, and now im intrigued...
His moniker on this website is Ottawadiscus, and he has a sponsors forum of the same name on the sponsors page down below, he carries a number of things and you can pm him, or post on his sponsor page, the banner at the top of the screen that says Ottawa Discuss is a link to his stores website.

audioslave_36

Is a sump something I should be thinking about ?    Babble ?    insight  ?

:)

what would be involved ?  and what equipment will I need ?

Dave

kennyman

You should check out Bruce's sump in his article for the auto top-off system. He runs two FW tanks into it as primary filtration as well as being able to house the heaters and pump. It is a pretty clever setup. You don't have to run the topoff, but I thought in your case with the amount of money budgeted for filters and the maintenance of them a sump might be a viable alternative.

There was the thread around here discussing the benefits of FW sumps. I see them as a GIANT canister filter with the top off  :D

sniggir

sumps are great well look at us SW freaks.... they increase water valume and if you want to you can hve a 50g as you sump and well that woul be your filter... and you can comtrol your turn over rate ... by the pump that you have
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

audioslave_36

that is an interesting thought, and I do have a 55g tank that will be empty once my finned friends move into their new 220g home.  ;D

babblefish1960

Quote from: audioslave_36 on March 25, 2007, 07:53:59 PM
Is a sump something I should be thinking about ?    Babble ?    insight  ?

:)

what would be involved ?  and what equipment will I need ?

Dave
There are two people here that have talked about sumps in freshwater systems that you may well wish to look into, Bitterman and Saltcreep. The theory of sumps have been mentioned here, they do increase the load bearing capacity of the main tank, additionally, it allows peripheral ancillary components to be tucked away out of sight, and in the case of your fish, presumably will protect everything from being broken.

Give it some thought, you can build a good sump without drilling, you may find the noise too much, but check around, you may want to go that way.

audioslave_36

Well that is once again very helpful info, I well contact both of them and get their points of view and see if they have any pics they would like to share.

thank you

Dave

bitterman

Quote from: audioslave_36 on March 24, 2007, 10:29:22 PM
:o :o I always thought sumps were for salt water only.   ??? ???

I have a 195 with a 30 gallon sump and built a trickle filter for about $40 ;)

http://ovas.ca/index.php?page=44

If you are planning on a planted tank a sump is not a good idea since it will cause Co2 loose if you want Co2..

Also if you are on well water here is the water change system I setup on my tank... Prety cheap and simple.

http://ovas.ca/index.php?page=52

Bruce