New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Cloudy Mbuna tank?

Started by Eirikre, January 04, 2004, 09:26:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eirikre

I have noticed that my tank is looking a little cloudy.  I can't figure out where it's coming from.  Any ideas?

I have a 55 gallon Mbuna tank.  I'm using a Fluval 304 for filtration.
I tested the Amonia, Nitrate, and Nitrite levels.  They are all very low.  I change about 20 gallons every week which is about half after you minus the rockwork.

Thanks for any help you can offer.

ambushman2j

Usually cloudy white water indicates a ammonea problem, you recently stirred alot of your substrate or it may be time to change your activated carbon..those are my suggestions

Eirikre

Thanks.

I did have a slightly high Nitrate count (aprox. 40 - 80 ppm.).  I don't understand how this came to be since I did a 50% water change just 2 days ago as I do every weak almost without fail.  I am suspicious that I may have damaged my filter bacteria.  I did clean the filter about a weak ago but I only used aquarium water to rinse the various carbon and the other media in my Fluval 304.

I have done another 50% water change which has of course decreased the cloudy ness (by about half) and has brought my nitrate level down to about 20 ppm.  I will check again tomorrow to see what has transpired and I plan to do another water change in any case.

If the problem persists I may change some of the activated carbon.

dpatte

cloudy water is usually caused by a damaged or incomplete ammonia-nitrite-nitrate cycle.

measure and watch your levels for all these and do water changes daily if any get too high

if ammonia > 1
if nitrite > 1
if nitrate > 20

cut down on food being placed in the tank

dont use artifical means to remove these - water changes are cheaper and safer

the cycle should repair itself within 1-30 days - but watch your levels carefully

328iGuy

I had the exact same problem, tested all my levels and they were all perfect, it was my 55 gallon as well.

Turns out the problem was the flakes I was feeding them, I stopped feeding them the flakes and strictly used frozen and the pellets, cloudiness all went away after a day or two.

By any chance do you feed flakes?

Hope this helps.

ambushman2j

when you cleaned your filter media (sponges) did you use tap water or used aquarium water?  did you do a thorough gravel vacuum?  feeding more then the fish are eating is also a good way to get nitrates too high, as it decomposes it's rocketing your nitrates..

dpatte

a bacterial bloom (this is the whiteness is in the water) is caused by excess food which usually breaks down into protein (that the bacteria eat) and nitrate. Decreasing food with water changes should always work.

Eirikre

I did use aquarium water to clean the filter media.  I suspect overfeeding.  As well my tank is packed a little tight,  Newby overstocking syndrome, although I think it is managable with extra water changes.

Thanks a lot for the responses.  This websit has been very valuable.

ambushman2j

just a follow up question, how long has your tank been running?  with alot of rockwork and enough time your tank should be able to sustain alot of african cichlids, in my 50 which I run a fluval 304 and a aquaclear 200 as a secondary filter I have about 22 fish and my water is always clear, I have a healthy amount of rockwork and 2 live java fern plants..my water conditions are always perfect, I credit the 2nd filter, the live plants and just giving it enough time to develop enough beneficial bacteria to my success

hope some of that helps

Drew