New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

1st Post! - Tang Tank Journal

Started by groan, June 04, 2007, 12:59:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

groan

Never had them, any suggestions? pretty open but as  a must i want Calvus or Comps...

Actually it is not quite empty. has 4 syno-multi's and 2 bulldog plecos.

Have to keep in mind it is a high-PH tank. +8.5

beowulf

I have these Malawi you can buy for like 100$  :P  The tangs is a nice idea you going with the shellies or not?  I have a ton of shells if you need some.

groan

Quote from: beowulf on June 04, 2007, 01:01:12 PM
I have these Malawi you can buy for like 100$  :

Great deal!
LOL

problem with shellies and calvus is calvus like to eat shellies, or so i have read

darkdep

LOL Calvus like to eat anything smaller than them :)

I have a black Calvus and three yellow Comps, and they are unique and beautiful fish. 

RoxyDog

pfft!  african cichlids...who needs em?!  wait...   :D
Tanks: salty nano cube, working on a fresh 125

Life is too short to wake up with regrets.  So love the people who treat you right.  Forget about the one's who don't.  Believe everything happens for a reason.  If you get a second chance, grab it with both hands.  If it changes your life, let it.  Nobody said life would be easy, they just promised it would be worth it.

sniggir

I love Tangs... some black calvus or fire fin comps are nice... get some Judiochromis, cyprichromis, maybe some lilupi, and some daphodile and you are set...if you had a bigger tank I would say get some fronts
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently
Starting on a fish wall for breeding more coming soon!

groan

Quote from: sniggir on June 04, 2007, 05:26:28 PM
I love Tangs... some black calvus or fire fin comps are nice... get some Judiochromis, cyprichromis, maybe some lilupi, and some daphodile and you are set...if you had a bigger tank I would say get some fronts

Sounds like a great list!
I may use it as my basis. Whats a daphodile? besides a flower?
Too bad the mgillie order is happening on bass season opening day and during that weekend, I'll be out of town :(

Oh well, the Jack order is still coming in July.

Sue

Quote from: groan on June 05, 2007, 08:30:39 AM

I may use it as my basis. Whats a daphodile? besides a flower?

Its not a great photo but here's one found on a quick google:
http://www.gbasonline.org/neo_daffodil.htm

hamstercaster

or you could mix the lakes  ;).. That's what I'm doint and so far I'm having some success... I've got labs, rusty, red zebra, lithobates, julidochromis, tretocephalus, altolamprologus compressiceps sumbu dwarf, a super red empress (no colors) and a demosani.. they all coexist very peacefully in a 55g... but most have not reached their adult size yet and the super red empress will be for sale or for free sometimes soon so to have a bit more space for when my fishies grow up...

Julies are nice fish.. I didn't really like them much from seeing pictures but one day I was at Super Pet with Rechaud and saw a Juli Ornatus and just fell in love with the fish. comps are nice too and they have not been agressive towards any other fish except between themselves where they will sometimes quarrell a bit... anyway, lots of choices out there.  If I had a big tank, I'd get myself a few leptosomas blue neon..

babblefish1960

I think that your expertise and interests have matured enough groanypoo that you could well become a serious fish keeper that develops a taste for the more obscure ugly brown fish. Yup, you definitely need to seriously consider the ugly brown fishes from Lake Tanganyika. That is where the real African fish come from, but like a great cognac, or single malt, it is an acquired taste reflecting passage into the real reason we keep fish, because they have personality.

oenology

I love my Tang tanks. I have a 130g community tank and 140g tropheus/featherfin/gobie tank. The community tank has the following fish:  daffodiles, Neolamp. marunguensis, leleupi, caudopunks,  brevis and gold occellatus shell dwellers, comps and calvus, 2 types of julies, callochromis pleurospilus, cyps, BN, and synodontis multipuncatus. It works pretty well except the daffodiles have taken over one half of the tank and have babies - the calvus and comps and julies are my population control measures, although the regani julies also have babies... I like this tank because all the niches are filled, the fish are colourful, well most are - must also have a few ugly brown ones with great character... there is very little aggression, interesting stuff happening all the time.

The tropheus tank is in constant motion with lots of aggression but spread out over everyone so no damage done. The featherfins aren't that happy in there because they are not kings of the tank but at the moment I don't have anywhere else to put them.

groan

i just ordered 5 of each of these from the mglillie order!

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/c_leptosoma_utinta.php

http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/altolamprologus.php

the Calvus is a White. Love the look.

the other one is for colour. This will also leave me room to build with new fishies as i go.

beowulf

groan

groan

Well i visited Big Art's on Innis and after picking up some live rock chips (yumm), some Jave Fern and a new power head, Art showed me some of the Tangs they have in stock.

He had a tank of the cutesr birchardi babies i ahd to take some home...i said gimme a scoop and i ended up with 15 babies!

anyways, my new collection has started.

oenology

Nice fish - just watch the size difference of them as the cyps could easily become a calvus lunch if they fit in their mouth... If you're looking for more cyps you might want to pm Markw or Sylvain. 

groan

thanks for the tips.
the calvus and cyps and these brichardi are all going to be quite small when they are introduced.

Cyprichromis Leptisoma Utinta 1 1/2 to 2"and
Lamp Calvus White Chaitika 1 1/4 to 1 1/2"

so hopefully they will grow to enjoy eachoters company. the only concern i hae is that the brichardi are very territorial when fry come along, and when fry come along thee are usually LOTS of them. I hope the Calvus will be able to help stem that otherwise i'll be gicing away brichardi fry for free on the street corner

groan

just ordered from spencer
5 x  JULIDOCHROMIS MARLIERI "KATOTO" 2.25-2.5" 11.50 5 F1

and

2x  SYNODONTIS MULTIPUNCTATUS "MAGARA" 2.25" 16.50 3 F1

kennyman

No Nimbochromis eh?  :(

Some day I'm gonna get me one  :D

groan

groan

So in my sig, under 70n Gal and Coming Soon you will see what i will ahve in the tank.

At the moment i have LOTS of bags of NLS pelets and some Spiroulina flakes. The little birchardi like the flakes and pellets but i want to make sure the whole bunch will get what they like. as far as i can understand they are all omnivores and like stuff like mysis, mosquito larvae, daphnia etc and I assume i can get this stuff frozen easily enough? Or maybe i can just scoop the crud on the surface of the lake?! lol

any suggestions?

sniggir

Loyed from ottawa discus carries frozen food... my fish are spoiled thatis mostly all they get... Al's has some aswell
90 gallon/ 90 gallon sump all male show tank, 75g Accie, 75g masoni reef alonacara, yellow lab and trio of flame backs, 75 gal tawain reef, 75 gal bi500, red shoulder, blue regal,
40 gal breeder  F1 electric blue frierei, 25 gal sunshine peacock males awaiting females, 20 gallon trio albino pleco, 65gal neolamprongus Brachardi pulcher 2 30g fry grow out, 20g hatchery with 4 batches of eggs currently

groan

bitterman

Quote from: groan on June 12, 2007, 11:22:05 PM
what kind of frozen?

Mark K=c   ;)

Loyed can get pretty much anything you want. Pm him with you interests and I'm sure he will get back to you ASAP.

Bruce

groan

New Pics!
New Rockwork and I was talking to some people about rocks i got from someone's garden (Thanks Fishnut!!! I still have another container-full to clean!)

just one shot, of the rocks and my o-so-scratched tank.

[attachment deleted by admin]

sniggir

great looking so far can't wait to see it once the rest of the rock get put in gotta love those Julies!