New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Help! Parasites infesting my angels? Started treatment!

Started by Lucie, September 23, 2007, 05:30:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigDaddy

I would suggest getting to a vet and going with your documentation to date.  While most vets in town don't usually see aquatic patients, if you can't find proper medication, a vet is a good strong option.

sas

Quote from: BigDaddy on September 26, 2007, 11:53:20 AM
I would suggest getting to a vet and going with your documentation to date.  While most vets in town don't usually see aquatic patients, if you can't find proper medication, a vet is a good strong option.
           I second what Big Daddy has said. When you start using drugs for off label use be very careful ???. You can get into a great deal of trouble.

KLKelly

I called the Ottawa Valley Large Animal Clinic RR4 • Kemptville • Ontario
Phone: (613) 258-5773

They were really nice.  I explained to the person on the phone that I was a member of the Ottawa Valley Aquarium Society and a couple of the hobbiests are in need of a drug that we are having a high degree of difficulty locating in Canada.

She said that they stock Levamisole for horses.  She recommended I call their source - "a compounding pharmacy" - Summet Compounding - 866-794-7387.  I called them and they will only supply to people with prescriptions from a vet for this product.

If you are up to calling Kemptville/other vets and explaining your situation - maybe they will prescribe it.  I wouldn't post on the forum if they do.  Its illegal for vets to prescribe anything without seeing the animal in question.

This document on levamisole is amazing!!!!  http://www.loaches.com/Members/shari2/levamisole-hydrochloride-1

If you do go the vet route - this document may come in handy.

Good luck Lucie.

Karrie

fischkopp

I would be able to get us something in Europe. They probably wont ship it to Canada, but I can ship it to a place in Europe and get it shipped over from there to us. The shop is in the Netherlands where you dont need prescriptions for vet meds.

thats a link to the site, a product for birds
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

sas

Quote from: fischkopp on September 26, 2007, 02:23:04 PM
I would be able to get us something in Europe. They probably wont ship it to Canada, but I can ship it to a place in Europe and get it shipped over from there to us. The shop is in the Netherlands where you dont need prescriptions for vet meds.

thats a link to the site, a product for birds
Um where's my little blue faced emotion shaking his head:no:

dan2x38

Awesome work & research guys! Your the best... :) Actually it is the OVAS way!

Hey Lucie if you can't get any other meds. right away I have some Fluke Tabs that just came in today. I ordered them because they work to kill Hydra. They are very good against several types of worms & other parsites. If you want I will sell you a box of 10 for what I paid $5. They are not available locally or at least any place I contacted.

I do remember that Darkdep had a vet learn about 1 of his fish with bloat. He got some metro. Maybe Darkdep could direct you in that direction.

If any of these leads/sources pan out please PM me I would be interested. Can never be to prepared... :) As an old saying goes, "Better to have a gun and not need one, then need a gun and not have one!" LOL  8)
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Lucie

Update: I am in communication with a vet. I'm trying to get some Levamisole for horses. I might have to drive far.
Dan: I'm not sure, but I don't think Fluke contains Levamisole... If it does say so on the package, I'll be more than happy to get some from you.

If ANOBODY from OVAS has any Levamisole... please contact me. I would pay full price.
SOF (Save Our Fish!)
Thanks !!! 

dan2x38

Quote from: Lucie on September 26, 2007, 05:11:39 PM
Update: I am in communication with a vet. I'm trying to get some Levamisole for horses. I might have to drive far.
Dan: I'm not sure, but I don't think Fluke contains Levamisole... If it does say so on the package, I'll be more than happy to get some from you.

If ANOBODY from OVAS has any Levamisole... please contact me. I would pay full price.
SOF (Save Our Fish!)
Thanks !!! 

No Levamisole isn't in Fluke Tabs they are a good med. for worms & parasites in fish... if you could let me know about your Levamisole quest... PM me on how far... costs... etc... maybe I can contribute...
Voltaire:

Lucie

Hi Dan, how sweet of you. Thanks. I have no idea as of yet about the price and all. I'm waiting to hear from the vet today. I think Fischkopp will probably be interested in some, he has the same problem. I would not go the smuggling from Europe route  ;) but this will be ok, I think.
I'm really surprised nobody has ever had this problem before...  It's a tough one.
Thanks to all of you!

fischkopp

Quote from: Lucie on September 27, 2007, 06:25:48 AM
... I think Fischkopp will probably be interested in some, he has the same problem. I would not go the smuggling from Europe route  ;) but this will be ok, I think ...

Yeap, I would be glad if we can find some levamisole inside the country. I am defintely in for a splitt. The oversea shippment is more a backup solution ...

Even if we have to take much more than we can take it (proper storage cool and dark provided) to help other people as callamus seems to appear once a while again.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Lucie

Still no Levamisole, I will make a few calls tomorrow (tuesday).

sas

Quote from: Lucie on October 01, 2007, 08:37:12 PM
Still no Levamisole, I will make a few calls tomorrow (Tuesday).
Petsmart in Kanata? Carries Jungle brand shstuff :).
       metronidazole 1.0%, praziquantel .5%, levamisole 0.4% ?
Seems like a bit of an overkill on medications? Labelled as Anti- Parasite Medicated Fish Food, so maybe it's not strong enough to treat an infestation...just a preventative?  ???(Good way to build a resistance)  >:(
       LOL Warning on package says.... Ruminent Meat and Bone Meal  Free. Your fish won't get BSE :D..........

Lucie

I have that Fish food stuff by Jungle. My fish won't it it. I even break up the pellets with my nails so that they might swallow little bits... Even if that's all they get, they won't eat it. Maybe they already feel bloated because of the worms...

Crumpet

Quote from: Lucie on October 01, 2007, 09:10:14 PM
I have that Fish food stuff by Jungle. My fish won't it it. I even break up the pellets with my nails so that they might swallow little bits... Even if that's all they get, they won't eat it. Maybe they already feel bloated because of the worms...

Sometimes, if you coat the medicated food with a little bit of fresh garlic, it will entice the fish to eat it.  I put a clove through a garlic press and rub the pellets in the garlic mash.  Hope this helps, at least until you can attain the levamisole

dan2x38

Doing more research & digging I found a post where should be able order from:

http://www.sheepman.com/ecommerce/ecomm_product_results.asp?source=subcat&subcatid=28&catid=30&curPage=2

I clicked on the add to cart and it has entries for Canadian shipping... let me know... :) you need to search for sheep dewormer... ;)
Voltaire:

Lucie

Hi Dan, it's certainly not cheap!
I went through the whole process of ordering from that site... The product is 20.50 US, and at checkout they add $40 US for shipping!!! $60.50 US !!!! I'll try the vet her today, then maybe i'll bite the bullet, or grenade, by the looks of it  ;) It would take 3 days to get here.
More later...

dan2x38

Quote from: Lucie on October 02, 2007, 08:23:28 AM
Hi Dan, it's certainly not cheap!
I went through the whole process of ordering from that site... The product is 20.50 US, and at checkout they add $40 US for shipping!!! $60.50 US !!!! I'll try the vet her today, then maybe i'll bite the bullet, or grenade, by the looks of it  ;) It would take 3 days to get here.
More later...

Lucie here is another link: http://www.wormer.com/sheep-goat-wormer.htm  It uses PayPal... I added to cart advanced for 2 units with shipping it was $60. Maybe pruchase then post if anyone wants to contribute. I would contribute in a week or so buy abit from you for safeties sake. Might be a few others seeing how hard it is to get & the cost!
Voltaire:

Julie

Try Country Depot on Hwy 31 past Leitrim (Bank Street) - give them a call first.

dan2x38

Lucie I found a source for Levamisole. it is through a member of another Canadian forum. He is asking $15 for 5 grams. I am awaiting the shipping instructions... :) x 1,000 He said 5grms. treats 88g... Hope this helps or others who want to order... Maybe we could do a group order?
Voltaire:

zapisto

Quote from: dan2x38 on October 03, 2007, 09:41:36 AM
Lucie I found a source for Levamisole. it is through a member of another Canadian forum. He is asking $15 for 5 grams. I am awaiting the shipping instructions... :) x 1,000 He said 5grms. treats 88g... Hope this helps or others who want to order... Maybe we could do a group order?
you better treat in food for best result.
i have levamisole, but not enough to supply everybody on this thread
sorry i was not on lately so i did not see this thread.

PS: i am not selling , that's illegal, just helping some hobbyist