New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

?albino baby convicts

Started by rnish, January 04, 2008, 11:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rnish

My Convicts produced ~150 fry about 1 month ago.  I'm afirst time mom.  Now that they are bigger I've noticed that 20% of the babies are white/translucent with light tan stripes while the rest are the regular black and white stripes.  Is this common?  Anyone want any convict babies? lol :-\

Sorry these guys are south american I guess I'll move the post to different forum

fyrebull

Quote from: rnish on January 04, 2008, 11:58:22 PM
My Convicts produced ~150 fry about 1 month ago.  I'm afirst time mom.  Now that they are bigger I've noticed that 20% of the babies are white/translucent with light tan stripes while the rest are the regular black and white stripes.  Is this common?  Anyone want any convict babies? lol :-\

She through 150 fry first time?????????? How big is she? My lab, first time mom had 8 fry.... ;D

rnish

This is an established breeding pair I bought from someone getting out of having fish. They are about 4-5 " long The convicts lay eggs and then guard them and the new borns.  When I noticed them being territorial I moved them into a 20 gal and let them bring up their babies. It was really neat they are great parents. I kept the parents with the fry for about a month but got worried. The parents wouldn't eat while parenting. They ate the flake food, chewed it up and spat it back out again for the young.  I had a great survival rate as there were no other fish in the tank. 
My yellow lab just had 29 babies!  I can't believe she could keep all those babies in her mouth.( Again an established  breeding pair.) 
Congats on your 8 fry they are so fun to watch grow.

I m still hoping to here if anyone else has had experience with white convict babies
Jade

estuary

do they have red eyes if yes albino, pure white black eyes platnum
pinky gold lutunistic all  gene trades parents might have

rnish

I think they must be pinky gold lutunistic. They have black eyes and they aren't pure white more translucent.   Thanks for the information
Jade

rnish

Uhoh! more babies! The parents are in my 77 gal african tank and just had another brood. I'm not helping out this timeby butting them in their own tank, so some will become fish food :'(
I guess that's the way of nature.(though 77gal is an awful small lake! )The little guys are swimming now and the parents have kicked all the other fish out of that corner of the tank.
My three month olds, definitely can now be distinguished with some platinum and gold convicts as well as the usual black and white stripe guys.  Some are over an inch long now... I don't know what I'm going to do with all of them. 
No one wants them even for free :(.  Convicts are south american and I shouldn't be talking about them in the african forum but I don't know how to move the post. ???
Jade