New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Substrate For Africans??

Started by Pisidan, January 27, 2004, 05:16:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pisidan

Nice setup 328 thats what I want when I get my 40 gallon..I live fairly close to Bells corners so wouldnt be too much a problem to grab some of that!!

328iGuy

Pisidan

Sounds good.  Do you currently have Africans?

Pisidan

yeah I bought 3 labs at the Jan 26 meeting there curremntly in my 20 gallon long...there great!!This is it here!!

328iGuy

Ahh looks great man for sure!

ambushman2j

yeah that's a nice setup of slate, the slate certainly allows you to build a better cave then the rounder rocks which tend to have large holes in the cave structure which defeats the purpose of the cave

james

Hi
I had to get some substrate  to set up a 55 gal, 48x12x18, today. So I was lucky to find a pool store open at this time of the year. I got some filtering sand 2x 50 lb for under 18.00.
I used it before, but all filtering sand is not the same.
The stuff I got before was greyish with black specks in it. The stuff I got today was a lot better .
The color was a rusty brown with black specks . This color is much more natural looking and because it is fairly dark it will really bring out the color of the Africans.
The brand of the filtering sand is]BOMIX Super filtering sand It comes in a 50lb white bag. Itwas enoungh to cover my 55 gal and I had enough surplus for  another 20 gal. Once again the color will make your fish really stand out over using lighter color substrate

James
55-g  Kribs. Busyi nose pleco, abino
25 gal yellow lab , Brichardi,
55-g white top Afra, Synodontus Alberti,
33- gal PS Demansoni
30-g Dim..Compressiceps , 55 gal  red swords, 
.30-g  P.S Flavus

aidensmomma2000

What store did you buy it at? I need to get some...

artw

Yes James please share where u bought the sand.
do you have any photos of this sand/in your tanks?

PDP

james

Hi
the store I got the sand from was Bruce Benson on Bank St It's near the Canadian Tire Store  on Heron and Bank. The name of the product is BOMIX SUPER FILTERING SAND and its &.95 for 50 lls. It comes in a white bag with blue and yellow on it. It's 7.95 a bag

James
33- gal PS Demansoni
.30-g  P.S Flavus

james

Hi Art
The color is exactly the color of the substrate in Pisdan  tank that he posted with the 3 yellow Labs. It's a nice rusty brown  It made a difference in showing up the colors of my AF . I use to use the cream color stuff that I got at the auction from steve. Its ok but made some of my fish colors look washed out or faded.

James
33- gal PS Demansoni
.30-g  P.S Flavus