New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

150 Gallon Mbuna With Cave Grotto Background

Started by Adam, October 31, 2008, 02:51:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam

I took a couple so-so photos of my fish.

Ps. Demasoni

Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga"

Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga"

M. Baliodigma
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

Adam

I had a bit of an issue with a rock falling, then another, then another.  Eventually the rocks ended up in a pile on a towel on the ground for quite some time.  I got around to setting it back up about 2 weeks ago and took some new photos:

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

fischkopp

Nice peanuts! :P Falling rocks sounds a bit scary, this could end up with a lot of water on the floor. Hope you got them fixed.

So, can you actually keep track of the number of fish in there?
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Cheebs

dan2x38

Sharp looking set-up. You made that background if I remember correctly right? I went back and read the beginning... nice DIY set-up. How are the rocks anchored now?
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

psychwolf

I know what I'll be doing in the very near future. Would you mind giving a list of the supplies used and where you purchased them.
Much appreciated.

Adam

Hi all,

Thanks a bundle.  The rock is fixed...it was my error and a poor structure to begin with.  I have gone back and made a sturdier structure.  Also, most of the rocks that could fall are quite small so there isn't much danger to 1/2" glass. 

I got the

vinyl gutter at home hardware,
zipties,
GE silicone II windows and glass without BIOSEAL (Mold inhibitor),
rocks (on ground),
hole saws,
sand paper,
file,
drill,
saw,

That's about it I believe.  It wasn't materials intensive but it was time intensive.  Remember I sanded and filed every hole to make sure there was nothing to hurt the fish.

Robert, the fish list is under my name...I will try to pull it up and update it but there really aren't too many fish in it...

I did make the background, but I was also helped by friends and family.

The rocks are anchored the same as always...using the output of the canister and held back by the aquaclears.

Adam

Adam

Adam

2 M. baliodigma
5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga"
3 L. caeruleus
3 Ps. demasoni
1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef'
2 C. afra "Cobue"
2 Ancistrus sp.-144
5 Ps. Acei
1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144
Various fry

pminister

Hey Adam,

Just a few questions... The gutters you used, aren't you worried that over time as the gutters deteriorate it will pollute the water ? Or are they water resistant ? And what type of substrate is that ? a special type of cichlids....or just play sand ?

Adam

Hello,

The sand I am using is half pool filter sand, half calcite sand (unsure of origin but I think it was originally southdown sand).  I am not afraid of the gutters deteriorating over time as it is PVC.

Adam

GrahamWebb

Wicked cool set up Adam...I love that background...totally worth the time I'm sure.
Thanks for sharing the pics.
Graham

Adam

Thanks Graham.  I see I'm not the only one with a few platies haha.  I have a 33 gallon livebearer aquarium and there are new babies every few days.