New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

15 Gal cichlid Tank

Started by Lurch1, January 03, 2009, 01:55:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lurch1

I know its going to be small, but I was wondering if someone could give me a good stocking idea for a small cichlid tank. Either dwarf or not. What do you think would look good or what kinds would be compatible?

dan2x38

This really a very small tank for cichlids. You can put in Shell Dweller Cichlids AKA Shellies. Still aweful small for them. Plus they are not that easy to find. Someone was selling them awhile back.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

pminister

glad some one brought this up..........b/c i was planning on stocking my 20 gallon tank with cichlids, though what is a minimum tank requirements for cichlids?

b/c i figured since they tend to grow up to at least 4 inches or so, and on that note a min 50 gallon would allow you to fit at least 12 fishes in there. correct me if i am wrong. just based on the calculations i did, as well as what i read that 50g tank would be ideal.

Nerine

It really depends on the TYPE of cichlid you're keeping...Some are more territorial than others, some require "overstocking", someone posted a thread on this awhile back, wish I could remember who/when! Maybe they will chime in here??

I've kept 20 or so yellow labs in my 55 and in my 75 there were way too many cichlids to count! I've also kept in a temporary situation 30 adults of varying species in a 30 gallon. It was STUFFED. but someone's tank had busted and they needed a place to sit for awhile, and there was so much "stuff" in the tank, there weren't any territory issues during their short stay in the tank.

Always make sure the tank is properly landscaped for the species and that will help greatly with how many you can put in a tank.
55 Gallon: Zamora Woodcats, Gold Gourami, Severum, Convicts
Misc tanks: Glo Light Tetras, Harlequin Tetras, Danios, Platies, Guppies, Otto cats
Breeding: Platies, Guppies, Convicts

beowulf

For sure you could go with shell dwellers if you are more interested in africans then south americans.  Contact Mila on here as he often has some available.  BA also often carries them.

robt18

There are a couple types of shell dwellers at BA's right now. Either go with them or do dwarfs. Rams and apistos would do alright in a 15g.

dan2x38

I would not put Rams or Apistos in a 15 gallon. They need very stable water or they will get sick pretty quickly. I apistos in 15's but they are breeder tanks the water is changed every 2 or 3 days max. Blue Rams are especially sensitive not likely to last long in a 15.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

Lurch1

Alright
So I can use it for an apisto breeding tank. I will keep them in my 25 gallon then.

Thanks

beowulf

Quote from: Lurch1 on January 06, 2009, 10:58:48 PM
Alright
So I can use it for an apisto breeding tank. I will keep them in my 25 gallon then.

Thanks

I had rams in a 10g tank with some ottos for 4-5 years without a problem, heck they even bred in there.  I had some apsitos in a 10g also for about 2 years without a problem but ended up adding them to my 112g tank a couple of years back when I got the tank.