New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Another Newbie!

Started by aussie_shep, January 14, 2009, 09:38:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aussie_shep

Hi All!

I'm new to OVAS.  I've had fish for 15 years, but just recently got more serious about the hobby.  I currently have one calico Oranda and one Black Moor in a 50 gal long.  I adore the fancy goldies - all of them!  I've been a member over at GAB for a while and have learned a tonne about proper goldie care. 

Anyway, I'm hoping to network a bit on this forum and perhaps, with a bit of luck, find the Ranchu I've been dreaming of.  I'm looking for a nice quality calico Ranchu baby (approx 2 inches), but have not had any luck locating one here in Ottawa.  I'm aware of Fish Sempai, but really hope to find one locally.

I look forward to reading past, present, and future posts!  Nice to meet you all  :) 

dan2x38

Welcome nice to meet you. Your experience will be of great value for sure. I am betting KLKelly an long time OVASer and GAB member will be replying to you soon. She is a real lover of goldies. Maybe come out and check our meetings. The next one is Jan. 26th great place to network for sure.
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

KLKelly

I'm a big GAB fan too.  Every time I open new member posts I hope they mention goldfish and not cichlids LMAO.  I sure the fancies love the long tank : )

Glad you found OVAS.  There are actually about 10-20 people (not quite sure) that have goldfish on here and some with ponds.

I want two of them black ranchu's from goldfish utopia.  I am even thinking of making a trip this summer to new york to actually get them if I know I could get them back over the border.  (Six hour drive).  I've never seen a calico ranchu locally.

Don't forget after the meetings there are mini auctions where you can get some plants often cheaper than the stores.

Karrie

aussie_shep

Nice to meet you! I'll check my schedule and see if I can make the January 26th meeting.  The auction sounds cool - I'm always in the market for Duckweed  :)

Kelly, maybe we should look at splitting the shipping costs on some Ranchus from Fish Sempai in Toronto.  I'm just not keen on spending $70 shipping on one fish!  Or perhaps the Utopia store you mentioned would ship.  I'm just scared they would get delayed at the border.  Ranchumaniax has some nice stock too.

Bonnie

KLKelly

I know Ed's ranchu's stay black, that's why I want them from him.  They don't turn orange. 

The auction is fun - lots of deals to be had.  You can fit a couple more fish in that 55 - must be hard waiting for the perfect one.

dan2x38

One of the club sponsors, Fish Tail do a lot of special ordering for customers. Try them first before ordering form someone else. They give a 10% club discount if you are a card carrying member. There is also no charge for shipping. You can always check with our other sponsors Big Al's will look into bringing stuff in as well. La Niche will order in stuff too... worth a try.

Send me a picture I can watch out on my trips to Mtrl. There are club members traveling to T.O. often. I know Fishnut just went and she does at least a couple times a year.

Importing fish/plants/marine & especially corals require permits when crossing the border. Can be a hassle check into first with Canada Customs.

The speaker this month is on fish nutrition.  The speaker makes their own food and sells it. He is also bring some food that he is donating to the club to be sold at auction. There is likely going to be some Goldie food... after all that is what they do best... LOL  8)
Voltaire:

crazy 4 fish

Hi Bonnie. Welcome to ovas. I'm a newbie too and have gained soooo much info from the members here. Don't know what I would do without them :)

You sound just like my friend Carole-Anne (woof99). She loves goldfish. She spents months looking for ranchus in Ottawa and finally found some but not sure where. You should PM her. I also looked around Montreal for her but couldn't find any. She did tell me that Fishtails was willing to order her one but she didn't like to order sight unseen. Good luck in your search.

Cheryl

woof99

I can honestly say I visited every store from Ottawa to Petawawa, to Kingston...
I ended up finding 2 Lionheads at this place in Gananoque, in the middle of nowhere!!
The other one I am embarassed to say... got him at Walmart!!!  I hate buying a fish there but he was gorgeous and couldn't leave him there, he was in this packed tank with half of the fish floating sideways...so sad!
I also saw some nice fancy goldies, no ranchus at a place in Renfrew... nice clean store.
As I said in my reply to your message, I spent months and I was obsessed with finding one!!!  I would love a black one and a Calico one now.  Maybe another Oranda instead.. I want to find homes for 2 of my fancies so I can get more Ranchu's!!

aussie_shep

I'm embarrassed to say, but I re-homed two ryukins so I can get my ranchu.  When I purchased them, I was told they were oranda fry.  They weren't, so I don't feel *that* bad for re-homing them - I basically bought them by mistake!

I'm not 100% sure how to post a picture, but if this works, the little ranchu in the pic below is exactly what I'm looking for...

Bonnie

woof99

Oh me too please!!!  He's a beautie!!  Love his coloring!  They just have the cutest chubby faces!!

KLKelly

Wow he is a cutie.  I think he would be on the gab fishnap list for sure.

dan2x38

I will check for you guys next week when I am in Mtrl.
Voltaire:

aussie_shep